Crippled Chick

SSOH10

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hey,

I have a chick that hatched which took an extra day than it should have to hatch, so I knew there was something wrong.

Since I am new to the whole experience, I thought he would be fine, but looking at Wilbur's legs, I see that they both are a little smaller, they are both weak, and his claw things are kind of crumpled up in a sort of fist.

I tried feeding him by hand which worked, but when I offered him a drink from a syringe, he drank a little, and then acted like he was gagging.

I didn't know if a splint would work, and I would hate to put it out, but if so, what should I do? I won't hit it against anything, or put it in a bag and run it over (parent's advice.)

I just need some help cause this is my first time... also please hurry w/ all of your responses because he may not make it w/o your advice.

Also... how many times should I feed it per day? every half hour?

Very sorry to hear about your chick. I am a new incubator as well. I had my first batch a couple days ago and I also had one chick that had legs that were not right. Very sadly, I had to put it down. I actually put it in the freezer since I figured it would just kind of go to sleep. It was very sad but I figured it had to be done. I read much much worse suggestions on the forums. :-( I mostly found ways to euthanize chickens and not newborn chicks. As for feeding them, I just give mine enough food for it to eat as much as it wants. I hope that's right. :)

Last edited:
Haha, I get your question now about how many times to feed it. I was thinking you meant all of your chicks, not the sick one. Lol

thanks for the info, but I had to put mine out as well. I was crying for like a half an hour, but I think that I did the right thing.

The rest are doing great...

Hope all goes well with you

sorry about having to put it down. :-( great to hear about the otherwise successful hatch! i had 2 ducklings hatch today! it was amazing! my first duck hatching. they took forever from first chirp to being outside the shell. about 36 hrs. they are sooo cute! not fluffed yet though.

I had to do the same thing yesterday for the first time. My chick also hatched late and it wouldn't use ots legs, just sat back and shuffled on its hocks. I tried taping the legs, splinting them and doing chick in a cup therapy to improve the strength in its muscles, but after 4 days it was no better. It peeped all the time unless I held it.
I read a lot of methods - dry ice for CO2, which I can't get here, drowning, freezing and snipping off its head with shears, but ultimately I went for breaking its neck as it was a combination of quick and clean. Still broke my heart though.

how many days has it bin. Last year I was so scared that my favorite one was going to have sprawled legs but a few days after hatching she recovered. Also if you think she's choking rub her throat. The easiest way to feed a crippled chick is to feed it with a medicine dropper. Really she could survive. Once she gets more strength (remember they are very weak when they hatch) if she doesn't recover her legs then she'll find her own way to walk and she'll get around just fine. One of mine that didn't recover from something similar to this lived a long happy life even if she was crippled she still managed to find a way. I had a duck with one eye that flew away a few years ago and she flew make safely the next years to come. Any thing is possible, you just have to give her a chance. Good Luck!

I have a similar problem and don't know what to do.
idunno.gif

Its a baby finch that has splayed legs and can't use its feet (they are clamped shut).

I was going to put it to 'sleep', but it seems so happy and active. Its getting about OK, but can't perch. It can fly and it shuffles about on the aviary floor. I taped his legs to help him sit up and hop about.

Each day I can't make up my mind what to do. If he was sick or suffering it would be an easier decision.

If I do keep him, I am going to have to keep him in a cage in the house with a solid floor so he can get about without catching his legs on everything. But my partner will not allow be to keep any animals in the house - and I don't think I can find a home for him.
hit.gif

Jak2002003, there are a few therapies to try before making a decision on its future.
Type in the search bar at the top of the page - chick shoes. Some people have made little shoes to spread out their toes. Make them with bandaids or cardboard and medical tape.
The splayed legs are also common - tape them together for a couple of days (search for spraddle leg for photos of how to do it), but sound like you are already doing that one..
For weak leg muscles there's also 'chick in a cup' therapy.
Hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom