Crippled Chicken?? Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gresh, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hello, fellow BYCers!

I have a pullet (about 9 months old) whose legs seem to have been injured in some way that she can no longer stand or walk. It all began one day when I heard what I believe to be her give a very loud squawk. Thinking it was just a cockerel mounting her, I thought nothing of it.

Later that day, however, I went outside and found her on the ground in a little heap: alive, but crippled. I tried to get her to stand but she wouldn't budge. I quarantined her with food and water, hoping that she would heal if it was just a minor fracture.

However, that was a number of weeks ago, and she has not recovered since then. She showed a brief period (2-3 days?) in which she was able to stand on her own, but it quickly disappeared, and she is back to 100% crippled.

What should I do? I've had two chickens go through similar injuries (I believe they were fractures, one caused by shipping as a chick and the other by our temperamental goat), but both of those chickens healed up almost perfectly and are back to ranging with the rest of the flock like nothing ever happened. But this pullet is different. We have tried putting her in a chicken crate outside so that the fresh air could help her, but to no avail.

I hate to say this, but should she be euthanized to spare her a crippled life? Can she be happy like she is? Please give me your thoughts. What is so odd is that I don't even know exactly what caused her crippledness. We think maybe our largest cockerel might have done something, but this pullet is rather hefty and sturdy herself.

Thanks for your time and advice.

God bless,
    ~Gresh~

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    You can try a vitamin regimen and see if it helps. .5ml poly vi sol, without iron, once per day. 400ius Vitamin E twice daily. This can take up to 2 weeks to show improvement. If no improvement is seen, I would put her down and have a necropsy done. Most states have a low cost or no cost lab that will do them. Then, you will know for sure what happened. It really is the best way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by