1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crippled Guinea Keet

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by cgmccary, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I am increasing my Guinea flock by 16. I have 14 adults. I have a keet that is about 5 weeks old in a group of 6. It was a late hatcher and had bad splayed legs from the beginning. I did the band-aid but it has not gotten much better. One of its legs goes to the side. It is not roosting on the pole with the others but stays on the ground. I figure it needs its leg strength to get airborne. Otherwise, the keet eats and is feathering normally.

My Guineas free range, and I am wondering if this Guinea will make it. They have the choice to stay in a spacious coop but it. I have a blind hen that stays in the coop. Am I prolonging a life that isn't going to be a good one? Does anyone have a similar experience where a Guinea with a leg deformity made it? Legs are such an important aspect of a Guinea. This keet seems to run around more on its belly. It gets around OK but just not as fast.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Leg out to the side sounds like a rotated femur issue, not a splayed leg. Splayed legs are usually easily corrected because they are usually caused by an injury and will heal fine if braced soon enough, but that is not usually the case with a rotated femur which is usually a genetic deformity, not an injury. Rotated femur is a painful condition for the bird to live with, and it only gets worse as the bird gains weight with age/growth. Unless you want to pay for the bird to have costly corrective surgery done by an avian vet, IMO it is probably best to put the bird out of it's misery...

Sorry I could not be of more help... but I have tried and failed to help several keets over the past couple of years with this condition. After a few days of watching them suffer with no response to the therapy and braces, I just put them down.

Also another thing to consider is that since a rotated femur is usually a genetic problem, if that bird is allowed to suffer thru life you then run the risk of that bird breeding and producing many keets with the same issue.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:I totally agree with you.
    Sad as it is sometimes we have to do what is best for the animal even if it breaks our heart [​IMG]

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Thank you. I will humanely put it down.

On a sad note, I am down to 13 adults. I actually saw a car run down one of my male Guineas this morning. After the deed, I think they looked up and seen that I had witnessed them doing it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    I third what the others have said. A rotated femur will never get better. It will only get worse as the keet gets bigger. You did the right thing.

I feel your pain with the male that got hit by a car. I live on 900 acres and where is the most favorite place the guineas like to stay ...... is in the road. The road is my biggest preditor. If I could re-do my coop and run I would build it further away from the road AND make it bigger!!! LOL!!!

6. Colettedre

Colettedre Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Whitney Point, New York
    My Guinea's head for the road also - we live on a back road and darned if some of the cars don't speed up when they see the flock head for the road. I do not understand this since I always stop for chickens and geese... and turtles....well and sometimes frogs in the road...

Sorry to hear you lost one to the road demons.

I have also had a keet with the same problem, I had to put the sweet thing down - darned if it was not the most personable of the bunch too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. MammaBear

MammaBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    SW PA
    I am so glad that I found this thread!! I also have a keet that has the same problem. Poor little one.

Thanks for the info.

8. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I have to be the odd one out. I have one that has crippled feet. It is unable to walk. I normally put the birds down but there are a few that just have this incredible will to live that I am just unable to do it unless they get bad. This keet now is a juvenile with feathers and will actually use its wings to get around. Its favorite companion is actually a older mille fluer d'uccle cockeral that had splayed leg but I didn't notice until it was to late to fix. It was my first and last experience with 50+ chicks. I can't pay as close attention to them with that many in one area. They are good friends and both flap to get around. They don't really like to leave the coop but I have created little spots for them to hide if someone is bothering them but the chicks they grew up with don't pick on them at all. I even found them dust bathing together just outside the door the other day.

I have put down a lot of chicks with foot problems. With me it just depends on whether or not I can see that will to live. If it has that will and it is something that I can afford to keep despite the uselessness for breeding I will let it have a chance. You do need to think of down the road though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by