CRISIS - Power Outage during lockdown!

discodannio

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
AARRRGGHHHHHH...

So, after ALL this effort, my wife calls to let me know that some guys from BC Hydro stopped by to let her know they were going to shut down the power! Its only for 15 minutes, but we don't know when. It was scheduled for 30 minutes ago, and it hasn't happened yet.

So - what to do?! 6 of my eggs have pipped, and things look like they're progressing nicely - this is the WORST possibility at this point!

At the moment I'm trying to 'reserve heat', as it were, so the incubator doesn't get too cold when the outage comes - but I also don't want to cook the little things. I've put 2 blankets around the incubator, and have a big pile ready and waiting for 'the moment'.

Do you think this will be enough for a short power outage? I guess if it goes longer, I'll have to build a fire in the room and keep it covered in blankets for a while longer? I'm also heated up 3 'Magic Bags' (those grain-filled pillow things) that I'll place on top (is that the best thing to do?) of the incubator if need be.

Crumbs... what a pain! haha

DD

It should be ok for 15 min. If it weren''t lock down I'd say put those shake hand warmers in there but you don't want to open it. keep those magic beans on there! Good luck

Not sure what kind of incubator but most will hold heat for a period as short as 15 minutes. If you think it will help you can keep towels in the dryer, when the power goes off, grab the warm towels and wrap the bator under the blankets as further insulation from the cold.

Back
Top Bottom