Critique my brooder please!

mine always preferred and 1 x 2 over a round roost, it lets them cover their feet. my only suggestion would be a colored bulb, or something transparent to change the color of the light someone suggested those plastic things put over stage lights. not sure if those are expensive or even where to find them. mine were happier with an orange or red light, slept better too.

buy a big, easy to read thermometer to keep in there at ground level so you will know how hot or cold it actually is in there. Also, your brooder is a little short if you live where it is hot. If they can't get away from the heat of the lamp they can get heat exhaustion. You can solve that part way if you can't be there all the time to keep checking by putting something in there that will throw a shadow from the lamp partway across the floor of the brooder and they will get in the shadow if they start to get too hot.

***Day 10 they were playing King of the Hill with the waterer trying to knock each other off***

Ha ha! That's funny! I have heard of them wanting to climb up on things. I'll have to put some roosts in there for them, and I think I will make cardboard sides farther up so they won't be able to get through the bars! These bars are only 1" apart, but I'd rather be safe than have them running all around in my craft room!

Oh - I have a remote thermometer so I can tell exactly what the temp is in each corner or right underneath the bulb, wherever! It's got a little rectangular thing that reads the temp, then it transmits it to the reciever up to 300feet away! I've been playing around with it and it seems like there's almost a 10 degree difference between right under the light and about 2 feet away, so I think the chicks should be able to get warm when they want, and get away from the heat also.... I'm planning to mount the thermometer part outside once we move them out to the coop, so I can keep a good eye on the temp in the coop - winter and summer! I wonder where I could get a red screen thingy... Aren't they called gells in the theatre business? I need to check on those!

Quote:
Yeah - that problem should be fixed tomorrow afternoon, or at the latest, Wednesday! I've got some chicks coming from McMurray Hatchery this week... supposed to ship on the 29th...

I also have a friend who will give me one or two of his pulletts... but I'm thinking I shouldn't try putting them in with the tiny chicks, so I'm not sure when I'll get them!

Back
Top Bottom