1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

critique my silkies (not too harsh please!)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blue90292, May 2, 2007.

1. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    so i got these two silkies for free and since i'm no silkie expert, just one that thinks they're the cutest ball of feathers, i'm hoping to get a better understanding of what makes then better quality. i'm figuring these guys are bearded. but the black bearded one's i used to own, you couldn't see their eyes at all. i'm figuring the cockeral should be a little more mulberry color, the pullet has feathers on her third toe, the cockeral does not....anything else??

thanks! and sorry the pullet is dirty, she loves to dust bathe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    They are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I love Silkies. Thanks for sharing you pics.

3. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    They look almost just like the two I rescued not long back. Pretty birds. [​IMG]

4. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    They look like big poofs of cotton. I think their really cool. [​IMG] Are they as soft as they look? Almost look like a toy stuffed animal--->chicken [​IMG] Enjoy your new additions [​IMG]

5. Neil

Neil New Egg

Mar 14, 2007
    This is what a good quality silkie should look like, its one of our birds. The hatchery silkies you have are very different.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Gorgeous silkie, Neil!!! Blue, your silkies are what they call "pet quality" which is a nice way of saying they don't cut the mustard show-wise. But who cares? They're beautiful and they're yours! Be proud and love those sweeties to death. I just love silkies. (I have a black one that was crossed with a frizzle and, thus, she is a "sizzle"!) LOL

7. BJ_BOBBI_JO

BJ_BOBBI_JO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2007
    North East Indiana
    Wow they are an elegant and pretty looking bird. It is almost as if they have silky fur instead of feathers. Very pretty.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think they are very cute, Blue. I have three silkies (black, splash and partridge) and they are such great birds.

9. Rooster's_Wife

Rooster's_Wife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Beautiful... ENJOY Them!! We are raising some baby silkies right now... fun, fun, fun! Thanks for "Sharing" [​IMG]

10. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Your Silkies have great beards and decent foot feathering if you are looking to put the work out and find mates with larger crests For your own line those could be a nice starting point- They are PQ to some - Lots of silkie people buy the best lines they can afford and start this way -
    Remember no matter what you start with
    A pet is what you end up with !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by