Critter Attack Traumatized my Last Surviving Chicken and Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DCarter, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DCarter

DCarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    On Christmas night a critter (raccoon) got into my coop and killed 6 of my 7 hens and wounded our rooster, Robbie. One chicken (a Red Star) was left unharmed in the henhouse. I nursed Robbie back to health and we have reinforced the coop now so nothing can get in. The pair seem perfectly fine now, but since that night the hen has not laid an egg. We live in the mountains of Colorado and just went through a 2 week cold snap (10 degrees at night). It's warming up now and I have warming lights on all night in the henhouse. The hen is 18 months old. Will the hen lay again or not until spring?

Thx for any help.
    Donna

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She will lay again eventually. It will likely be long before spring, too. It's going to take some time, though. Cold temps don't bother chickens, so the warming lights are probably extraneous, but the short days can affect laying, so maybe the lights will help with that. Just be patient and you'll soon be getting eggs again.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by