Crook old chook

Timmmyh

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2021
So I’ve got an old hen, at least 8. Trying to help for the kids sake as she’s been a freeloader on the egg front for a while now.

She’s been looking like this and just being a bit slow in general. Lost 1/3 of her weight in the last 3 months (2.8kgs down to 2kgs). Kept her in over night last week and poops didn’t look too out of the ordinary, she eats and drinks with an appetite (especially blueberries).

Been running cocciprol in the only waterer for a touch over a week now with nil improvement and am running out of ideas.

She is currently growing a bunch of feathers back in from last moult. Other than that some dogs got in the yard and chewed a couple of her sisters 3 weeks ago which caused some stress.

Is it just her time or am I missing anything?
9B5D0136-2026-4F9C-9BF1-0CA83D44EC3B.jpeg
5359B02E-FF8E-46A7-BC30-F5A94D8A4C72.jpeg

So I’ve got an old hen, at least 8. Trying to help for the kids sake as she’s been a freeloader on the egg front for a while now.

She’s been looking like this and just being a bit slow in general. Lost 1/3 of her weight in the last 3 months (2.8kgs down to 2kgs). Kept her in over night last week and poops didn’t look too out of the ordinary, she eats and drinks with an appetite (especially blueberries).

Been running cocciprol in the only waterer for a touch over a week now with nil improvement and am running out of ideas.

She is currently growing a bunch of feathers back in from last moult. Other than that some dogs got in the yard and chewed a couple of her sisters 3 weeks ago which caused some stress.

Is it just her time or am I missing anything?
View attachment 3468190View attachment 3468191
Is she all alone now? Or does she have flock mates?

How long has she been growing in feathers for? What %protein is their feed? It could be old age, but I have also noticed that with chickens the older they get sometimes the harder the molt and regrowth period is on them.

Eight years old and still going is a good average for a chicken.
The 0.8kilo weight loss is more than I would expect for a pensioner. Older hens tend to need a higher protein diet with low calcium (1%) if they have access to natural ground.
I don't think you are missing anything except perhaps keeping the blueberry consumption to a reasonable level.
Some tinned mackerel two or three times a week would help with protein and any digestive problems.
Keep her with her flock mates and let her die in her own time is what I have done and would do. She's done well to get as far as she has and probably paid her way to the end with eggs and entertainment in her productive years.:love

I agree the protein could be an issue for her. I give my flock a 20% protein all flock pellet year round. She could be missing the others if they were close, but eight years old is fantastic for a chicken so you must be doing things right!

The feed is usually 15-16% protein pellets and they do get to free range a fair bit. It does feel like the latest batch of feathers have taken a long time to come it but I can’t say I timed it.

Will add some fish to the diet and just let whatever happens happen. Still enthusiastic about treats as you can see from this mornings pic.

AADA5D30-DEC6-45EB-901A-D6ED5A9E2DBC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom