crooked beak on chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dhansen, Sep 21, 2007.

1. dhansen

dhansen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    One of my chicks has a crooked beak. It doesn't look too bad yet, but I'm thinking it may get worse. Does this chick have a chance? Won't this make it tough to eat?

2. OffSpring

OffSpring Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    You must have been reading my mind!!! - I was going to post a thread up about this...

Basically I have a chick that is just about to reach POL (any day now).

And when she was younger I didn't notice she had a crooked beak, as she has been gradually getting older it is becomming more and more noticeable and now her top beak is almost 45 degrees out compared to her bottom beak.

Now obviously she hasn't had any problems drinking or eating whatsoever as I keep a close eye on all my flock to make sure they are well.

In fact she seems to be none the wiser with this disablility and seems to be coping amazingly well.

My questions is: Is there anything I can do to straighten the beak without hurting her? (just like dentists correct our teeth alignment).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a cross beak and you just gotta keep the water and food really full so they can eat. It gets worse as they age and there isn't much you can do about it since it is a skull deformity. Just don't breed them.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I just found out that a bird vet can fix beaks, maybe check into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by