Crooked chicken toes

michos

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
I have a 7 week old Americauna and the innermost toe on each foot is strangely jointed. You generally cant tell when she is standing on flat ground but when she is in a position where her toes need to bend, you can see that those toes bend mostly out to the side rather than downward, as though the toes are slightly twisted. I think its just on those two toes. She doesnt seem to be bothered by it or be hindered in her movement but we want to see if this is a common, harmless defect or if it can develop into a problem for her when she gets older. Many thanks for your help!!

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Americauna with all of her toes crooked, She does just fine and has been our best egg layer. I did some reserch and it seams it can stem from poor incubation humitity ( to high or to low?) and also from poor heat temps as a baby chick.(too cold) I saw some videos and pics of people who used pipe cleaners on the leggs and feet and taped them into position but by the time i found out about the pip cleaners my chcick was about 6 or 7 weeks old. I clip my hens wings so they dont jump over the fence but I didnt clip hers so she could get away from predetors becuase she can't run as fast as the others can. but she sure is cute to watch when I come out with fresh viddles. Good Luck,

I have one as well, also 7 weeks (Ideal Ameraucana, probably a generic EE). The inside front toe on one foot curves to the side. Probably close to 90 degrees but it isn't angular, just curves to the side as if it were wrapping around a branch or something. You can see it flex a little and it doesn't seem to bother her. We noticed it about a week ago but she could have been that way for a long time. I don't think she has always been that way, we would have noticed it when she was a few days old.

I gather it is best to ignore it at this point.

Back
Top Bottom