Crooked/crossed beak

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScottyHOMEy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    I've got eight laying pullets, hatched 8 weeks ago last Friday, all doing well (only losses were in shipping).

Only concern with any of them is one White Wyandotte whose upper and lower beaks are crossed, one twisting each way. I like to keep my critters so that they can keep themselve clean and presentable, but I'm not into showing. And at present I have no plans for hatching my own egss, so neither of those considerations is a problem.

Longer run, Im more concerned about it affecting her ability to thrive. As the clutch of chicks (RSL, BSL, WW, BR and BO) have grown I've seen them all seesaw around each other as to who is bigger this week. Thus far she has been part of that, but just now is falling behind a little. And it's got me to wondering, now that they're getting some size to them and starting to eat more, whether that beak might be a problem when it comes to he taking in feed and water. It's become more pronounced as she's grown.

I'll continue to keep an eye on her, but wondering if trimming her beak might be something to try if she continues to lag behind the others. It doesn't seem to be a matter (or affecting seriously, yet, anyway) the set of her jaw, but if it should, trimming strikes me as something that I might try to correct that before deciding whether to cull her or not.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You could try trimming her beak if you think it will help, also many folks with cross beak birds just provide deeper feeding dishes for them, it is easier for them to scoop food up that way. You can also dampen her food so it is easier for her to eat. Do you have any photos of her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by