Crooked neck/cant walk

Jacobdean916

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2018
A2EFB48A-C3C6-4475-9BE9-B1FAB5589A14.jpeg
82C363C9-73E6-4656-B73D-5F358F20980C.jpeg
8B805ED4-14F0-43EB-9E1E-1A4FAF02A366.jpeg
Omg please someone help, my blue americauna all the sudden has a super twisted crooked neck, and cannot walk whatsoever. Falling, rolling around as if her equilibrium is completely gone. Was fine yesterday and out of nowhere this morning I seen this. Breaks my heart watching her. I separated her from the flock with her own food/water so far. She still layed, but not sure what else to do. P.s. photos are kind of hard to make out, but she’s pretty much laying on her head 80% of the time

Last edited:
It could be wry neck, I never came to the conclusion if my chicken had wry neck or newcastle but it did get over it in a week or so and the neck fixed itself.

Ive had a couple chicks born with twisted necks over the years, some I were able to help others were culled.

This sounds like the neurological signs of wry neck. Wry neck can cause a twisted neck, walking in circles or backward, and may be a symptom of head or neck injury, vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, and can be seen in some diseases, such as Mareks, respiratory diseases, and others. The usual treatment is to separate them and help them to get enough to eat and drink with their neck symptoms. Treat with vitamins—E 400 micrograms daily, plus a poultry vitamin with E, and some cooked egg or tuna for selenium. Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins has all of that, but it still requires more E. You can open a 400 mcg capsule onto food.

Mareks disease may present this way, so do you know if she was vaccinated? You may want to mix up a very wet mash of chicken feed with water, and hold her to try and get as much into her several times a day if she cannot eat and drink on her own. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

This sounds like the neurological signs of wry neck. Wry neck can cause a twisted neck, walking in circles or backward, and may be a symptom of head or neck injury, vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, and can be seen in some diseases, such as Mareks, respiratory diseases, and others. The usual treatment is to separate them and help them to get enough to eat and drink with their neck symptoms. Treat with vitamins—E 400 micrograms daily, plus a poultry vitamin with E, and some cooked egg or tuna for selenium. Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins has all of that, but it still requires more E. You can open a 400 mcg capsule onto food.

Mareks disease may present this way, so do you know if she was vaccinated? You may want to mix up a very wet mash of chicken feed with water, and hold her to try and get as much into her several times a day if she cannot eat and drink on her own. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
^^ THIS^^

Back
Top Bottom