Crooked tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moongarden, May 5, 2012.

1. moongarden

moongarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

At last I managed to dowload. This is Jerry with her crooked back and tail, I don't know if it clear enough. I have other photos if needed

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Did she hatch this way? or maybe sometime she was injured and it healed like this. Is she having problems because of it? if not then just let her be and enjoy her, she is very pretty.

3. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    If she wasn't born this way another possiblility could be her rations, if she was fed a rapid growth (broiler) ration. (that's called "kinky back" when that happens)

I bought an adult EE that has a humped back and a slightly wry tail, she's the flock leader and a very happy bird :)
    I will probably never know if this is what caused it, but it has not affected her that i can see.

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Other than kinky back, the only things that I can think of are 1) wry tail, where the tail is fixed in a crooked position, or 2) weakened tail bed, where the muscles that keep the tail in place get weak, and so the tail can be moved around like normal, but at rest lies in a crooked position. My 7-year old Delaware hen got the weakened tail bed when she hit age 5.

Does she have mobility problems with the tail? Can she move it around normally for grooming, etc?

5. moongarden

Aug 7, 2010
    Thank you all so much for your help it puts my mind at rest, sounds like she will be ok.

She wasn't born this way, it has just started to develop this last couple of weeks, she seems to be more dominant than her sibling.
    She can still move around clean her feathers and do all the thing she used to, it just seems to be leaning to the left, and she has a humped back. I have checked her for injury but found nothing and she doesn't seem to be in pain.
    It doesn't seem to bother her although she has become a bit clumsy.
    To put you in the picture, I will try not to make this too long.
    We had a light Sussex bantam cross that turned out to be a huge cockerel, he died at 7months old, gutted he was a real character. found him on his back still warm on boxing day, he had been at our true breed rohd island red and she laid her first egg that day so we saved up some of her eggs and gave them to a friend to hatch in his incubator and to our delight hatched these two little darlings so we reared them from 7 day old chicks. They are our little babies and we have spoiled them. We have fed them on chick pellets until recently they eat corn and whatever scraps we put for the other chickens plus they roam the fields all day. We don't have to worry about foxes and such like where we live we don't have any so they roam free all day.

6. Miss Lydia

Okay since your not feeding a balanced diet, that maybe the problem,. not saying she isn't getting some nourishment from foraging and scraps but the corn wouldn't be giving much and if she is still young might be better to supplement her diet with some feed just to make sure she is getting proper nourishment.

7. moongarden

Aug 7, 2010
    Sorry I didn't make it very clear, they are still having the chick pellets that we get from our local farm shop which they love, but also have the corn and scraps. should I be giving her a supplement to help her along do you think. Is there such a thing....

8. Miss Lydia

9. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    What is her age?
    I was talking to a worker at the farm store here in my town today, and he said that after 8 weeks you should not stay on the high protein chick food. After 8 weeks, if their protein uptake is too high they can get the "kinky back" . I would check the percent of protein, and make sure it is not over the adult amount.

10. moongarden

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanx for that fuzzybutt love, I am researching your comments .

I am getting increasingly worried about her sibling I think it's a cockerel, his legs are very long and they are very wobbley and today he has a job to stand up he is even eating sitting down still has a very good appetite, he was leaning on me this morning when I was feeding him and now 2hours later her has a job to stand. Apart from that he I
    Seems very well and alert. Please can anyone help my boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by