Crooked toe with nodule - pic

feathersnuggles

Songster
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Seattle
I noticed today that my 20 week old pullet (we don't know what she is, she's a mutt from someone else's farm) has a bent toe. She doesn't favor it especially. I do remember about two months ago she was holding the leg up, from time to time, but she was really hard for me to pick up so I didn't pay much attention to the leg thing because she's feisty and it didn't seem like she was injured. Now I feel bad about ignoring her. I wish I had tried to look at it closer & inspect her feet then, b/c now she's got this nodule on the top of her toe which doesn't flatten out if I stretch out her toe. The good thing is she doesn't act like it hurts her, at all. Still as feisty as ever!

I checked the bottom of her foot. It looks totally normal. The bent toe looks normal too, except for the bump on top. It looks to me here like a broken joint which healed crooked. I'm including photo of it. Is there something I can do, at this apparently late date? Does have experience with this and know whether she is going to be hindered by it in the future? Thanks!

40567_126-2645_img.jpg

40567_126-2644_img.jpg

It might have been broken at one time and when it healed there is an extra deposit of calcium at the break. I don't think it's anything to worry about but keep an eye on it and if it changes or seems like it is causing discomfort get back to us.

Thanks purpletree23, for your advice! I will keep my eye on it.

Cheerfulheart, thanks for the compliment! Her breast color IS pretty and sorta like the deep red of RIR. But she's got a lot of black tips on her feathers and she's got a black beard and black ear feathers. I just can't figure it out. She started out as a little chipmunk-striped chick.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom