Crop impaction and open mouth breathing

winkyfaye

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Robbinsville, NC
Hello, Sunday a week ago I saw one of my 18 week old speckled Sussex girls doing what I thought at the time panting. I thought she was hot so I turned on the fan. A little later when she was doing the same I checked her and found she had a crop impaction. I did lots of reading and followed instructions by the Chicken Vet, using a syringe gave her lots of water, baking soda and oil. Messaged her crop to loosen it up hoping it would pass. Did this several time throughout Sunday and Monday with no results. She was still pooping very small amounts and doing the open mouth breathing. On Monday I spent hours on the phone contacting vets and rehabbers trying to get her treatment we could afford.

I have never tube fed an animal even with the wildlife rehab work I have done in the past, but a rehabber I have met since moving to NC agreed to tube the fluid mixture in her to see it that made a difference. Tried 3 times giving 5 cc each time. Still no luck getting the stuff down or up. While at her house in TN (100 miles from our house) she got on the phone calling vets she knew in her area some of which have treated her wildlife. Finally found one at 4 pm that said yes bring her in.

The Dr. did an exam and due to the open mouth breathing was concerned about gapeworm. She pooped at that time and he tested it, but due to all the oil could not really tell 100 % but did not see any.

She said he would do the crop impaction surgery using a local because of her breathing did not want to put her under. Gave her pain shot, antibiotic shot and Lasix (thinking she may had aspirated before I discovered her problem) he also sent us home with 3 days of wormer to start the next day. This was on Tuesday.

Called him on Friday since she is still open mouth breathing, however her crop seems to be doing very well. She is still on soft food and inside. He called a prescription of liquid Lasix for us to give and if she is not markedly better by today I think he is going to increase the Lasix dosage.

Does any one have any ideas about the open mouth breathing? It is not every breath but a couple of times a minute. Sometimes she just opens her mouth a little and other times open all the way.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I do want to say how happy we were that Robin found this vet for us. I had gotten prices in Asheville, NC of $70, 75 and 155 just to walk in the door. He did the exam, meds and surgery for a quote of $150. but went all was done and we went to pay it was $145. He was a very kind, gentle, caring young doctor that I would surely use again if necessary even if he is 130 miles from our home.

Sorry this is so long but, I did not want to leave any thing out may help figure this out.

Again, any suggestions to what could be causing our Sophie to do this open mouth breathing will be welcomed.

Last edited:
Thanks Chicken Obsessed,

I am not really good on the computer or these forums but I will try and take a video of her. Maybe it will help seeing what she is doing rather than just reading. The doctor did look in her mouth. She is eating and drinking fine.

Is she open mouth breathing or "gasping" every few minutes? I ask because if he was concerned about gape worm, the mouth breathing sign is similar to what some do when their is a respiratory problem as well.

Thank you for the reply Out of the Brooder. Any suggestions are welcomed. It is just breathing, not gasping and it is not every breath.
The doctor checked for gape worm. The poop sample was not the best due to the oil we have been giving to try and clear the crop. He did not see any, but he did give us three days of wormer just in case. None of the other 16 chickens are showing any signs of the same thing.

We still have Sophie inside and giving her the Lasix daily. We did however take her outside for a little bit the other day. She has to be going stir crazy. It has been a week since her surgery so I am going to make grit available again. She has been on her crumbles and soft things since the surgery.

I did take a short video, but I am not very good at posting them. I tried but could not figure out how to do it. Do not know where to find the code it asked for.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom