Crop issue, injury or both

okiemomma4

Chirping
Dec 2, 2021
I have a girl that has a swollen crop. I think it’s either impacted or sour crop but not sure. It also looks like she got pecked though I can’t find a serious wound under the bloody area. I could use some advice on what to do. She was fine last night and like this this morning. She isn’t eating today but is drinking.
A3CEE719-7A57-42B4-B060-E5D0BE72B78B.jpeg
46AAF382-1991-4B42-AC8E-84BA9F940D61.jpeg

Predators sometimes attack the crop. I would pull back feathers or trim if necessary to fully examine the crop for wounds or punctures. Chlorhexidene 2% is very good to wash wounds, and Hibiclens diluted with water half and half works too. Plain antibiotic ointment can be put on wounds twice a day when dry. If a vet is possible, that would be best. Can you tell if any water or liquid is coming out of the chest where the crop is located? How does the crop feel—full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Check it again in the morning when she wakes to see if it has emptied overnight. If a hole or wound is found, the crop and skin can be separately closed with sutures or super glue.

Predators sometimes attack the crop. I would pull back feathers or trim if necessary to fully examine the crop for wounds or punctures. Chlorhexidene 2% is very good to wash wounds, and Hibiclens diluted with water half and half works too. Plain antibiotic ointment can be put on wounds twice a day when dry. If a vet is possible, that would be best. Can you tell if any water or liquid is coming out of the chest where the crop is located? How does the crop feel—full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Check it again in the morning when she wakes to see if it has emptied overnight. If a hole or wound is found, the crop and skin can be separately closed with sutures or super glue.
Near the top of the swelling feels hard but the rest feels soft. Shes drinking and acting fine and is mad that I won't let her out of the crate to eat. I'll try trimming the feathers and see if I can get a better look. Not sure how a predator would have gotten to her but it's possible. If it's an injury I'd think more of another chicken but again I can't swear to that either.

I would trim the feathers only if you see a cut. Can you bend them back and look? Is that blood on her? It looks like blood. Wetting the feathers may help to see a wound. I would look for any leaking food or water.

Last edited:
I would trim the feathers only if you see a cut. Can you bend them back and look? Is that blood on her?look for any leaking food or water.
Yes it’s blood. I looked through the feathers and couldn’t find anything major. Thinking she got pecked due to the swelling. I’ll try cleaning up the blood and see if there’s anything I’m missing.

Checked the wound it for sure is just a peck wound. Already scabbed over I guess they just got her good and it bleed a bit. Now I just got to get the swelling down. I've got her in a dog pen in the coop/run with water and no food. She's pretty mad at me about it. She's acting fine other then the swelling. I gave a her a bit of olive oil in her water which I saw her drink and I messaged the mass to see if I could get it broke up. She didn't let me do that for very long but I did my best. Hoping tomorrow morning she'll look better.

It was still there the next morning but I got her to eat some coconut oil and massaged it a bit and by evening it was gone. She's been fine over the last few days though I'm continuing to keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom