Crop issue?

YarnerT

Hatching
Mar 15, 2018
Hi there, we've hatched 4 baby chicks successfully. They are now 12 days old. Three are doing extremely well, however one is having some crop issues. She will play with the others, and eats and drinks like the others, but her crop always remains large. So large she seems uncomfortable. She is also still the smallest of the four. Last night I tried separating her, but she was constantly calling for food even though her crop was still full. Her droppings are not as large or frequent as the others. I did still give her water, and her crop shrank somewhat, and her droppings became larger, but when she drinks the crop just fills back up again. She was complaining so much I had to put her back with the others, and she is back to eating and drinking and keeping her crop bulging.

I am at a loss as to what to do, and hoping someone here has seen this before.

Thank you!

Hi there! And :welcome Is she acting sick? If you are brooding under a heat lamp, it is hard to gauge crop function since chicks eat/drink at all hours. The only way to know would be to remove the food/water for several hours after the chicks have eaten and see if the crop is going down.

Hi there! And :welcome Is she acting sick? If you are brooding under a heat lamp, it is hard to gauge crop function since chicks eat/drink at all hours. The only way to know would be to remove the food/water for several hours after the chicks have eaten and see if the crop is going down.

Thanks for the reply! She’s the only one with a huge bulgy crop. She doesn’t act sick per she, but she sleeps a bit more and doesn’t lie down us much as the others to sleep, I think because the bulge bothers her. She also tosses her head sometimes.

Thanks for the reply! She’s the only one with a huge bulgy crop. She doesn’t act sick per she, but she sleeps a bit more and doesn’t lie down us much as the others to sleep, I think because the bulge bothers her. She also tosses her head sometimes.
I’m having the same issue with one of my chicks the same age. Did it go away on its own?

Back
Top Bottom