Crop issue

CCsGarden

Happy Easter! Resurrexit Sicut Dixit, Alleluia!
Premium Feather Member
Apr 23, 2023
Hello,
My hen has had a squishy crop since yesterday.
Today Her crop still has not empty. What could be going on? She is 7 months, lays eggs everyday and eats New Country Organics layer feed.
Any suggestions?
I have not see Her go poop. Her breath dose not smell sour or like vinegar
PXL_20231130_224539627.jpg

PXL_20231130_225723257.jpg

Last edited:
thank you!
if anyone else can give me advice! that would be helpful☺️

she went poo on me 🤣
But her crop is still huge and squishy.
Gave her some antibiotics and Apple cider vinegar.

PXL_20231201_015434128.jpg
PXL_20231201_013946875.jpg
PXL_20231201_013950110.jpg

Gave her some antibiotics and Apple cider vinegar.
Antibiotics? What did you give?

Did you read the article linked previously (and below for your convenience)?

A crop that is not emptying needs to be accessed, then the symptom addressed.
Determine if the crop is impacted, sour, doughy, etc.

Antibiotics are rarely needed to treat a crop dysfunction unless the hen is suffering infection from an underlying condition like infection from reproductive disorders, E. Coli, etc.

I'd make sure she's drinking well, offer wet mushy feed. Start with giving coconut oil and a massage. Make sure there's grit (crushed granite) available in their coop/run so she has access to that during the day with her flock.

Usually a crop that is huge and squishy and is not emptying by morning is Sour even if you don't detect an odor yet. Treatment is with an antifungal like Nystatin, Miconazole or Clotrimazole. Acidified Copper Sulfate can also be used to treat Sour Crop. Antibiotics will make matters worse.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Antibiotics? What did you give?

Did you read the article linked previously (and below for your convenience)?

A crop that is not emptying needs to be accessed, then the symptom addressed.
Determine if the crop is impacted, sour, doughy, etc.

Antibiotics are rarely needed to treat a crop dysfunction unless the hen is suffering infection from an underlying condition like infection from reproductive disorders, E. Coli, etc.

I'd make sure she's drinking well, offer wet mushy feed. Start with giving coconut oil and a massage. Make sure there's grit (crushed granite) available in their coop/run so she has access to that during the day with her flock.

Usually a crop that is huge and squishy and is not emptying by morning is Sour even if you don't detect an odor yet. Treatment is with an antifungal like Nystatin, Miconazole or Clotrimazole. Acidified Copper Sulfate can also be used to treat Sour Crop. Antibiotics will make matters worse.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Yes! I read the article it gave Me a lot of info!
Thanks for the response☺️
We found some other things about this issue. So I will update if it works out.
I hope she recovers. She eats and drinks normal. We think its the beginning of sour crop.

But her crop is still huge and squishy.
You need to check her crop first thing in the morning, before she has access to food or water, to determine if it is emptying properly overnight. At 8 pm in the evening it should feel full and squishy. Go back and read the article again. Take your time.

You need to check her crop first thing in the morning, before she has access to food or water, to determine if it is emptying properly overnight. At 8 pm in the evening it should feel full and squishy. Go back and read the article again. Take your time.
Today her crop is still huge and squishy

Back
Top Bottom