Crop issues need HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherTheMommy, Sep 3, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    My speckled sussex pullet it droopy, twisting her neck as if something is stuck in her throat, head tucked in with a large crop. I've never dealt with crop issues so I'm super clueless. I did massage and empty it a bit this morning but I need help. I don't want to lose her:(

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Is her crop hard? Squishy?
    What came out of it? Do you smell a foul odor coming from her mouth?

3. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    It just feels full. When i emptied it I just saw mostly food because she got to the food before i emptied it. I didn't notice a bad smell but i also wasn't really smelling her breathe. She's definitely not feeling good. Shes about 14 weeks old i think

4. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Ok so if the impacted crop resolves will it still feel full or swollen if she also has sour crop???? I can't tell if the crop is unimpacted or not and I'm feeling helpless.

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I would suggest separating her if you haven't already done so. You need to monitor poop, crop and food water consumption. Remove food tonight and check her crop first thing in morning. It should be empty. If it still feels large and squishy or like a soft ball then she still has an issue. I personally don't vomit my chickens as there is a chance they can aspirate and die. Does her poop look normal or is there pieces of undigested grass/greens in it?
    I have used epsom salt drench as a fast and effective treatment for both sour and blocked crop. Mix 1/2 tsp epsom salt with 1/8 cup water and slowly syringe into her a small amount at a time. Take food away but provide lots of fresh plain water. Check in a few hours and if crop doesn't feel improved then repeat. Usually she will have some very smelly poops and crop should feel normal in 12-24 hours. I would keep her seperate and only provide chicken food and water (no treats) for at least 24 hours to make sure everything is working fine. Let us know how she's doing.

6. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Thank you I will check her crop in the morning and update. I'm not sure if she is pooping or if it is throw up in the crate. What should I do if it is sour crop?

7. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Same thing-epsom salt drench. Good luck and let us know how she seems in the morning

8. Melissa Sakata

Melissa Sakata Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2016
    I just had a tramautic experience with sour crop. I didn't know that is what it was, and I did use the epsom salt solution last night with great success. Before I gave her the epsom salt wash I did massage her squishy crop and vomit her with success. She did have some normal droppings during the night, but her crop was still not empty this morning, so I took her to the vet because I adore her and she was either going to be treated, to help her or euthanize her to end her suffering.

During the vet visit, she let loose with the most horrific diarrhea and she felt so much better. So the epsom salt flush took about 12 hours to get it all moving along. The vet really did not want to treat her because he does not do chickens, but he did do a lavage on her crop, and took out what was really old grass. She is 100% better, and I am praying tomorrow morning she will wake up with an empty crop.

It is really stressful to newbie chicken owners when they are feeling sick because there could be so many symptoms that are similar.

I will monitor her carefully and hope for a complete recovery.

I learned so much what to do and what not to do. The hardest part in trying to treat your chickens without professional help is that there are too many conflicting treatments. Some of the treatments were downright crazy.

The epsom salt flush really helped my chicken and I hope it will help yours.

As for vomiting your chicken There were several chicken experts FOR, and several against. It was truly a scary experience, but I watched several videos, and there were some videos that I didn't like at all. I was fortunate that I was successful and happy I didn't kill her.

I hope you can help your chicken, as I shed many tears in frustration and sadness in seeing my Silver so ill. Good luck!

9. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Ok so this am her crop was slightly smaller but still full and squishy. I massaged her crop for awhile then mixed 1 tsp epsom salt to 1 oz water. Got like half or 3/4 of the mixture in her. She's still pretty small. Then I massaged the crop trying to push it downwards. She is now in a crate with water only. I placed her in there and she drank a good amouny of water. Will check on her in a few hours

10. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Great job. The epsom salt seems to make them very thirsty which also helps move the bad stuff through them. You may hear a lot of gurgling like stomachs growls...even farting. Fingers crossed for you both. Let us know how she's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by