Crop needle size for quail?

Kokakorr

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2022
I have a Coturnix hen that needs oral fluids. I can't find a crop needle gauge guide for quail. What size should I order? The advice from Vetafarm is to use the largest size that will fit.

If anyone read my earlier post, we are searching for a new, better home for our healthy quail and now have a complete balanced quail food for any that remain. It's game on over here. :)

Thanks for replying. I hadn't thought of a pipette. What is the advantage of using one over a crop needle? My reasons for thinking a needle would be better than the syringe I have are that I will know exactly how much fluid is going down and the ball on the end means that I can't enter the trachea by mistake.

At any rate, I still need an idea of what diameter will fit and how much I could safely feed at once.

Thanks for replying. I hadn't thought of a pipette. What is the advantage of using one over a crop needle? My reasons for thinking a needle would be better than the syringe I have are that I will know exactly how much fluid is going down and the ball on the end means that I can't enter the trachea by mistake.

At any rate, I still need an idea of what diameter will fit and how much I could safely feed at once.
I guess I'm unfamiliar with a crop needle. I was thinking needle. The pipettes have measurements on them and they're nice and tiny.

Another name for a crop needle is a medication tube. For what it's worth, the vet today said to use an 18 gauge crop needle on a quail. Now the internet knows for future reference.

I would go way bigger than 18, 14-12 for a coturnix.
Yeah, I was surprised, having watched the Vetafarm vet demonstrations on YouTube. The presenter said that 18 was really only used on finches and to choose the largest size that would comfortably fit.

Back
Top Bottom