crop on chicks seems way to big.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
this past Saturday I picked up 6 chicks at our local tractor supply. I noticed when I got them sat up in the brooder.That one of them had a large crop.I thought that they all may have been eating shavings. I did put shavings in the brooder and they all started eating it.I took the shavings out and lined it with paper towels.I picked up each chick and put their beak in the water.they drank and drank.I picked up the little one and felt his crop and massage it.it was not hard but soft.I did put baby grit in their brooder.They ate that like food.so I took that out and sprinkle some on the paper towel.which I have seen them eating it..they eat,drink and poop.This morning I noticed several of them have very large crops.Its like they can not get enough food.should I remove the food.And also tonight I plan on slipping them under a broody hen.hoping she will accept them.

Don't offer young chicks grit; they don't need it when chick feed is their only food, and as you have seen, they don't have much sense about what to eat. The paper towels are a good idea until they learn what food is, which hopefully will only take a few days. I would not remove their feed; the need it. But I would remove the grit.
save it for later when you begin offering treats that need grinding, when they will need it. Offer it separately.

Chickens est little or nothing at night, so if you suspect a crop problem, check it first thing in the morning; it should be empty, or nearly so for very young chicks.

Good luck!

Thanks. I have already removed the grit. I usually let my hens hatch out their brood. And care for them.But Tractor supply was selling these for a dollar apiece. They needed to get rid of them. They were two days old. I couldn't resist. They are Isa Brown and Buff Orfintons.

Don't offer young chicks grit; they don't need it when chick feed is their only food, and as you have seen, they don't have much sense about what to eat. The paper towels are a good idea until they learn what food is, which hopefully will only take a few days. I would not remove their feed; the need it. But I would remove the grit.
save it for later when you begin offering treats that need grinding, when they will need it. Offer it separately.

Chickens est little or nothing at night, so if you suspect a crop problem, check it first thing in the morning; it should be empty, or nearly so for very young chicks.

Good luck!

I plan on putting these chicks under a hen that went broody This past Saturday.So my question is.do I need to provide grit for this hen.I will be feeding them The Chick starter .

A lot of people do offer grit to their adult chickens, if they give them treats or if the hens forage on grass, in the woods, etc. But many soils contain enough grit or stone for them to grind their food.

The simplest way to feed a flock with broodies raising chicks is to feed the whole flock the chick feed. If it has amprolium in it, you can even eat the eggs, as the amprolium is not absorbed by the hens to any degree. Many people with mixed ages or even just cockerels in the flock feed a flock raiser feed, or a grower, and offer oyster shell separately for any hens who need the calcium.

Thanks for all your input.My broody would not accept the chicks.she started to attack the one I sat down in front of her.I will be the one that cares for them.

It was dark.I had to use a lantern to see.she bit me lightly several times.and when I put the chick in with her she peck it.I could tell the chick was terrified.I did not want to take any chances.so I took them back in the house.

Back
Top Bottom