Crop Surgery Performed - More pics & How To Steps posted - Pg 10

Smoky did very well during her surgery. It did need to be done. I didn't take pics of the wad of gunk we took out, but it was beginning to smell sweet, so beginning to ferment and ready to come out. She is in the brooder in my office with water with a tiny pinch of copper sulfate in it to guard against anything fungal setting up in her crop and we gave her a shot of penicillin to boot. I can't remember-does she get anything to eat right now, like yogurt? Or do I wait till tomorrow? It's been awhile since we did one of these. If she survives, this will be our first successful one and I think if it is, the reason is that she wasn't as bad off as the other two when we did the surgery. Heck, she kept trying to watch, LOL.

We can snip the exterior stitches later, but the interior ones will have to just stay inside, no choice. I do plan to continue to look for the pre-threaded cat gut sutures for future use, though I really don't want to do another one of these.

Smoky, standing post-surgery:

DSCN3796.jpg

Her newly emptied crop, formerly larger than a softball:

DSCN3797.jpg

Oh my that is great news, best I've heard in a while. She looks great too!

I agree about waiting, I waited too long. Only had chickens a short while

and wasn't as willing to do surgery, but I'm very happy for you.

ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the support, guys. I am really hoping she makes it. She is still standing up, but DH made her a "nest" with a towel twisted in sort of a circle for her to sleep in. She slept in it last night so maybe she will relax and get some rest and she can have yogurt, which she loves, in the morning.

I'm bushed! This type stuff is so stressful, especially since the others we did the surgery on didn't make it. I believe we got to Smoky's far sooner because the stuff in her crop didn't even smell bad, just a tad sweet. She is a strong girl, even though she's not a young hen anymore (she's 4), and I really want her to pull through. Big old Suede only has three hens and I know he's wondering where she is tonight. Found him, Dusty and Meg all sitting in the floor rather than on the roost when I went to lock them in about 6 p.m., which is not the norm. They seem confused that she isn't in the coop with them.

Updating Smoky's progress: She is standing, albeit, very vertically. She must feel like someone punched her in the chest. She ate yogurt and just now some gruel (ground tablespoon of oatmeal cooked in lots of water, mixed with a 1/2 pinch of Avia Charge 2000 and plain yogurt). She is periodically shaking her head for some reason, but she is bright eyed and still has good face color.

I'm starting to worry about her now. She just stands with her head slightly bowed and shakes it all the time. She isn't relaxing or trying to lay down or even drink. I realize her crop area is extremely sore, but I hope she perks up soon. At least I do know if we hadn't done something, she was going to slowly starve to death.

ETA: she has an appetite, that's for sure. She slurps up the gruel and mashed egg when I give her a couple of tablespoons at a time. She did poop and rather than the all urates and greenish bits that she pooped post-surgery when her system was empty, it was sort of a gooey mush, so seems like something did go through the crop properly.
fl.gif

When you get time can you add how you went about the procedure, it always helps to read and learn from those who tries something on our feathered friends.

I'm so glad to hear she is well, I'm sure she will do fine.

Great job well done
fl.gif

good job. if you have to do it ever again. use chlorhexadine to clean the are prior to cutting your 3 layers. I didnt read the whole thread, i hope you rinsed the crop well with normal saline after you pulled the crap out I saw where a guy used a turkey bastor
sad.png
I would use a large syringe myself.... did you glue? or suture? amazing how quickly they can recover once their crop is cleared.

Back
Top Bottom