CROPPING GREAT DANES' EARS - HELP!!!

I don't believe in cropping ears or tails. My last dog had her tail cropped before I got her. I believe they must have pulled the skin forward before they cropped so she had the skin irritated her whole life with the bone trying to break through and blister on it all the time. It would itch and she would mess with it trying to scratch it and whine. I believe it was painful for her and it was like that her whole life.
sad.png

"What I was Thinking" - Oh - I understand - I didn't take the time to check out the info - till now - and I printed it to pass on to this person. Thans for that!

The issue really is the age of this dog. It is way past the time when cropping can be done with minimal discomfort to the dog. If the dog was truly show quality, I am sure the breeder would have made sure the cropping had been done. I know a lot of breeders who do not crop or dock in order to ensure a pet and not a breeding or show home.

I have seen some horrible situations from dogs having late cropping and docking. Argh.

I have Saint Bernards.....they are the poster child for ear infections. Keep the ears cleaned on a regular basis with Otomax and you can avoid most infections. But, if your dog has allergies, it doesn't matter if the ears are "stand up" or "floppy".

It is tough to find a vet that will crop ears around here. Has your friend even found a vet willing to do it? That may help her decide too. I have never heard that about Danes having ear infections , my friend rescues Danes and she has had both. Personally I love the floppy ears. I think cropped ears make an animal look mean.

Good luck convincing your friend!

Nancy

Quote:
At 6 weeks he is to young to be away from mom and also to young to be cropped. It is very difficult to find a vet that does a REALLY nice crop. I would run from any vet that did ears before 8-9 weeks.

This issue came up on another forum recently, spurred on by the fact that I just had a puppy cropped.

Personal experience is that cropped ears stay cleaner than floppy, however, this is not true for every dog.

I have pictures of my puppy Bourbon outside running playing and acting like a total fool less than 24hrs after he was cropped. Most puppies do not miss a beat and act as if they do not even know they have been cropped.

I have both cropped and natural ear dogs, I really like the look of a cropped ear but I also appreciate a nicely set natural ear.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice that each individual must make. However, it is a pain in the rear. One HAS to be willing and able to due the follow-up posting and continue them until the ears are standing.
If one is not able to do the after care it is better to leave ears natural.

I agree that at 6 weeks she shouldn't even be away from her mom, that said she is still well in the age to crop, tails need to be done within 3 days, ears up to 12 weeks! Although I'd say 8-10 weeks is best. Whether to crop or not is a personal choice, and in my opinion has no health benefit either way, it's just what one person prefers.

I have two danes currently, a 9 year old cropped male, and a 6 year old natural female. Iris is my first natural eared dane, she's also my first female, I just thought the natural ears look more feminine. In my experience the cropped ears get waaaay dirtier! So far Iris has never had an ear infection (and she LOVES to swim), Havoc has also never had an ear infection. Can't say how it may affect hearing since Iris is deaf (not because of her natural ears), but I really don't think that is right.

If I get another dane I don't know if I will crop or not, I'm not going to say I will or I won't. Some breeds I like the look better cropped some I don't. W/ danes I can go either way.

I prefer the natural look. I don't see a real benefit from cropping ears and I don't think that it should be done if it is unnecessary. I guess it's personal choice, but I know I wouldn't choose it. And you gotta love those big floppy ears.

i quit cropping my yorkie's tails... The last litter someone brought back one of my yorkies pregnate ..... I have 5 yorkies that are 7 months old.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom