Cross Beak - Can you trim?

AndersonFolk

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
GA - Making Boiled Peanuts
Our 7 (maybe 8) week old Ameraucana has a cross beak, which I know can't be fixed, but is there a way to trim it? The top beak has gotten to be so hooked she pulls the feeder over all the time and it her poor beak gets packed full of food.
I've thought at one point I'd read on here you could. If so, what do you trim it with and how?

This next question probably isn't in the correct forum, but how are the ones of you whom have crossed beak chick’s deal with their aggression? Right now we have to keep her in the kennel separated from the big coop because she will run all the other girls off, or try to. The girl who are bigger than her, she try’s and eat right on top of them forcing them to move and the smaller ones who are a few weeks younger than her, she pecks and runs off.
While they are all out free range eating, she leaves them alone, but once everyone is around the feeder she doesn't want other around it.

You can trim the beak with a toenail clipper or I use a cat claw clipper and then file to a natural shape with an emory board. There is a blood line in the beak just like nails, so don't trim into the blood line (which you can usually see on a beak) I'm guessing she is being aggressive at the feeder because she is not getting enough food due to her beak problems. You will need to provide deep dishes for her to scoop the food, keep her beak filed as often as necessary and maybe soften her food.

You can just add a bit of water (I'd put a bit of vitamin/electrolyte solution in it), but it will have to be done at least daily. Give what she does not eat to the other birds that day as food can quickly mold and become toxic. I'm guessing she will be able to feed with the flock just fine once her beak is trimmed. I've had crossbeak birds in my pet flock for years and as long as you keep an eye on the beaks, they seem to do just fine (as long as it's not so bad they can't eat)

Back
Top Bottom