Cross Beak Chick

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
Yesterday I noticed our 12 week old SLW has a slightly crossed beak. I hadn't noticed it before. Her behavior is fine, actually the friendliest of our 5 babies. She eats and drinks fine. No one picks on her.

What if anything should I expect from this? Does it get worse?

2hrmurk.jpg

With her age, you may be lucky. If you've just noticed this, chances are good for her I would think.
My Penelope's beak was major crooked at 1 week and I had her put to sleep at 9 weeks. She wasn't growing and she spent her entire day trying to eat.
She was a happy bird....but her quality of life was poor.
If you notice she's not growing along with everyone else or she seems weak....if it ever seems like it becomes a problem for her...you could try trimming her bottom beak back a bit.
Many folks on here recommend dremel tools.
I've seen quite a few birds on here with pretty crooked beaks, but they all do well.
Just need to be trimmed now and then and in some cases, they need their beak cleaned.

I'm sure someone can tell you more, but that is what I know.
Best of luck to you! She's a cutie!

It may get slightly worse, but not much more so. It looks like a mild case that should need little intervention in order for the bird to remain healthy. Deep feed and water dishes should make it easier for her to eat by allowing her to scoop up sustenance with her beak. You can trim it if it appears to be over-growing, but be very cautious because trimming can cause a lot of bleeding if done too aggressively. I don't trim my mild cross-beaked BR because she files it down herself on concrete blocks I have placed around the run for just that purpose. Mine's beak will never be pretty, but is perfectly functional. Lastly, do not use this bird for breeding stock. Cross-beak is thought to be a genetic condition that is frequently worse in subsequent generations.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Just make sure she has a "scoopable" food source, and she'll be fine. Water is difficult for them, but watermelons are a FAVORITE treat.

Thank you all for the "good news" replies. So far she is spunky and eats and drinks just fine. I hope she will continue to do well. She is such a sweetheart. She'll sit on my leg like that, just cuddled up to me, until I have to get up to allow blood flow back to my feet.
love.gif

I will keep an eye on her and make sure she continues to thrive like she has been.

We just noticed that one of our top hat chicks has a crossed beak, it seems to be getting worse everyday
sad.png
I read a few other posts a few days back about taping it, does anyone remember how that was done? I am afraid it may get real bad and it is the nicest little chick!

Glad I'm not alone...Got an americana (we call her Lady GaGa) that has a bad crossed beak and is the most outgoing of the 25. I understand that I might have to trim her beak and am not looking forward to it, but if it has to be done so be it. I have noticed that a Dremel tool is recommended but is there a step by step video or diagram that shows a proper way.

Back
Top Bottom