Cross beak in chick

Hillcrest79

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
My chantecler chicks are 2 1/2 wks old and I just noticed a chick with a cross beak....I’m sure it wasn’t born with it as I have been quite attentive and aware of the chicks. It doesn’t seem to be affecting it as far as eating and drinking thus far but I am concerned as it grows. Is it safe to clip it with toe clippers and will this be an on going task?

you can clip a chicken's beak up to the quick, but unless you need it you probably shouldn't. I have a cross beak silkie, buffy, and he gets a beak trim every month or so. It can be a little stressful for both of you and it might bleed if you cut too far. also, I didn't realise buffy's scissor beak until he was about 3-ish weeks old, they kind of get more noticeable over time.

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 4
you can clip a chicken's beak up to the quick, but unless you need it you probably shouldn't. I have a cross beak silkie, buffy, and he gets a beak trim every month or so. It can be a little stressful for both of you and it might bleed if you cut too far. also, I didn't realise buffy's scissor beak until he was about 3-ish weeks old, they kind of get more noticeable over time.
Thank you for the info and the picture. I’m not to keen on clipping at this point but obviously if it affects its health I’ll have to. Does your silkie have trouble eating?

Thank you for the info and the picture. I’m not to keen on clipping at this point but obviously if it affects its health I’ll have to. Does your silkie have trouble eating?
he cannot get treats as well as the others but to make it easier to eat, I add water to the feed and make it a mash. Buffy also really, really loves yogurt because it is soft

Back
Top Bottom