Cross Beak loves mashed potatoes!

Nikkistar13

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2023
COLORADO
My scissor/cross beak recently discovered she LOVES mashed potatoes! Just some leftover from our dinner- instant with butter and ranch powder.

I’ve tried so many different feeds, mashes, etc and I’m happy to see her eating! She’s smaller than the rest of the flock, so I’d like to continue this, but without the added ranch/butter and more nutritional content. I tried rolling it in her feed, but she wouldn’t touch it. Doh!

Any suggestions? I’d sure like to fatten her up without causing any harm or nutritional definencies.

Attachments

• C8C605A2-3B54-46E2-9199-17DB445C159F.jpeg
    C8C605A2-3B54-46E2-9199-17DB445C159F.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 53
Maybe you already researched this, but it appears to me her bottom beak could be trimmed so it would be more aligned with her top one. Aside from that, have you ever tried fermenting feed? It makes the grains soft and provides better nutrition. You could put feed crumbles in there too, but I don't. I ferment Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve with some chia and flax seeds added. It would up the nutrition she's getting and could feed it to your others too.

I do it with three 1-quart jars. I fill a jar 1/3 to 1/2 with the feed, then fill it up with unchlorinated water and cover it lightly with a breathable cheesecloth or screen. The next day, stir it and start another one. Stir both of them the next day, and start your third one. The next day, stir the newer two, drain the first one, and feed that to them, then start another one. After you stir, always add water so a layer of water is on the top to prevent mold.

My other idea would be to put her layer feed with some veggies in a blender and see how she likes that.

My scissor/cross beak recently discovered she LOVES mashed potatoes! Just some leftover from our dinner- instant with butter and ranch powder.

I’ve tried so many different feeds, mashes, etc and I’m happy to see her eating! She’s smaller than the rest of the flock, so I’d like to continue this, but without the added ranch/butter and more nutritional content. I tried rolling it in her feed, but she wouldn’t touch it. Doh!

Any suggestions? I’d sure like to fatten her up without causing any harm or nutritional definencies.
I also have a polish scissor beak. I was syringe or free feeding puréed food. But now I have a large bin she stands in and can scoop the food into her lower beak. It makes me sad she spends so much time just trying to eat. But I am so attached to her. She is tiny and has so much personality. I purée chicken feed and mealworms together, moisten with water or applesauce (no sugar) and some liquid chicken vitamins and would either syringe it or let her eat it on her own. I hope yours is doing good! This is my Loxie girl!!

Attachments

• IMG_7067.jpeg
    IMG_7067.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 71721540861__7B4E4A19-F07D-414C-95E5-8A3F6C0597BC.jpeg
    71721540861__7B4E4A19-F07D-414C-95E5-8A3F6C0597BC.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom