Cross beak

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I have a chick starting to get a cross beak. I swear it wasn't there when it hatched. Does that happen after sometimes? It isn't too bad right now. I just wonder if anyone has had this happen and does it get worse as they get older?

Hi mbleily,
unfortunately, the answer to both question is 'yes'. The crossbeak is apparently a growth defect in the skull, so it worsens as they age (and often isn't visible at all on hatch).
I've had it recur in a line of araucanas but no other birds, so I believe it's highly hereditary.
Good luck with the little one,
Erica

Hi mbleily,
unfortunately, the answer to both question is 'yes'. The crossbeak is apparently a growth defect in the skull, so it worsens as they age (and often isn't visible at all on hatch).
I've had it recur in a line of araucanas but no other birds, so I believe it's highly hereditary.
Good luck with the little one,
Erica
This is an Americana EE mix. It is one of the only gray ones I got out of the hatch. I will probably put it in the meat pen. I don't have the time to have to do much extra for it. I love my birds but I don't have them for pets. They work for their living laying eggs.
big_smile.png
I sell the eggs so they can have enough feed to lay some more eggs. It is a circle so I can keep them and enjoy them.
wink.png
They may not be pets but I do l love watching them when I get time. They make me laugh every day and for that alone they are worth the effort. Micki

I, too, have the same issue and the question. I received my chicks yesterday and as soon as I saw the little buff polish I knew its beak was not right. I was wondering if they always get worse or some stay the same...

and out of curiosity, how do I insert the "signature" at the bottom of posts so I can inform people what kind of chickens I have??

Last edited:
I, too, have the same issue and the question. I received my chicks yesterday and as soon as I saw the little buff polish I knew its beak was not right. I was wondering if they always get worse or some stay the same...

and out of curiosity, how do I insert the "signature" at the bottom of posts so I can inform people what kind of chickens I have??
Mine has gotten worse. I noticed she is smaller now than the others also. She has to constantly eat to get enough protien. I do not have time to treat her to special. I try to make sure she is the first one at the food line. I always have food there but when I add it they think it is new stuff. LOL

To add a signature you go up to the top of the page where you have clicked on to come to the forum. You will find profile in that line of buttons. Click that and it goes to your profile. From there you go down on the page and will see signature.

I guess cross beaks happen pretty often. I hate it but what can you do?
Micki

Back
Top Bottom