Cross Breedin Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lynn1961, Feb 24, 2012.

1. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Has anyone crossed black jersey giants with welsummers. BJJxWelsummer, or WelsummerxBJJ ?
    If so what was the result as far as what the birds looked like, egg color and size, growth rate ?

How about cross breeding of Easter eggers Welsummers ? or Welsummer and Easter Eggers

Jersey Giants and Easter eggers ?

Current project of Welsummer over Easter egger has produced pullets that look like Welsummers with a muff and beard, pea comb and lays a greenish, speckled egg. Yellow legs. The Eggs have been larger than welsummer eggs from the start, the pullets started laying at about 6 months, and are very simular in size to a welsummer hen.

Was wondering about the above mentioned crosses, and if anyone had any chicken or egg pictures from the crossings.
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I have not, but I know Black JJ are self black birds(believed to be Extended black) and Welsummers are wildtype in coloration(making them e+ plus some red enhancers maybe) if they were to be cross, I expect all of the chicks to have mostly black down with sime white/cream underbelly.. as they grow they will be mostly blacks. may show some color leakage but they will be mostly black or golden birchen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by