Cross-breeding Booted bantamsXSilkies

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I have a few questions about cross-breeding these two breeds Here is my plan:

Group 1
Silkie roo X Sablepoot hen - Silkie X Sablepoot cross -
Sablepoot Silkie?

Silkie hen X Sablepoot roo - Sablepoot X Silkie cross -

Now to the question:

1. What will I get if I cross the Silkie X Sablepoot cross with the Sablepoot X Silkie cross?
2. And what should I breed to the Sablepoot Silkie?

Thanks!

@MysteryChicken

Hi! I have a few questions about cross-breeding these two breeds Here is my plan:

Group 1
Silkie roo X Sablepoot hen - Silkie X Sablepoot cross -
Sablepoot Silkie?

Silkie hen X Sablepoot roo - Sablepoot X Silkie cross -

Now to the question:

1. What will I get if I cross the Silkie X Sablepoot cross with the Sablepoot X Silkie cross?
2. And what should I breed to the Sablepoot Silkie?

Thanks!

@MysteryChicken
What is your goal?

You can go two different directions with this. Silkied Sablepoots, or extra small Silkies.

Just a little factoid: Silkies were bantamized(Not all of them were) using Mille Fleur D'uccles, D'Anvers, & Bantam Cochins.

What is your goal?

You can go two different directions with this. Silkied Sablepoots, or extra small Silkies.

Just a little factoid: Silkies were bantamized(Not all of them were) using Mille Fleur D'uccles, D'Anvers, & Bantam Cochins.
Thanks! How would Silkied Sablepoots look? Would they have Silkie feathering or what?

Thanks! How would Silkied Sablepoots look? Would they have Silkie feathering or what?
Mostly like a Sablepoot, but with fluffy feathers.

You can do this by only breeding the white skinned, single combed, 4 toed offspring together.

The silkie gene is recessive, so is the mottling, so both would need two copies to show.

Mostly like a Sablepoot, but with fluffy feathers.

You can do this by only breeding the white skinned, single combed, 4 toed offspring together.

The silkie gene is recessive, so is the mottling, so both would need two copies to show.
Thanks! I think I understand. I will certainly update in a separate thread. They still don't lay eggs so I will start on this project in spring. Also, I have another question. What colour silkie should I use? I have whites, Partridges a buff and mixed colours

Make sure the father used is a sablepoot, & the mother a Silkie. This form of breeding won't make Sex-links.

25% of Females will have black skin

25% of Females will have white skin

25% of Males will have Black skin

25% of Males will have White Skin

Thanks! I think I understand. I will certainly update in a separate thread. They still don't lay eggs so I will start on this project in spring. Also, I have another question. What colour silkie should I use? I have whites, Partridges a buff and mixed colours
If you don't want to deal with blacks, or whites that maybe produced by using a white silkie, go with the partridge, since the Mille Fleur color is Partridge X Columbian X Mottling.

So you can make a sex link Silkie?
Yes, that's possible.

Silver Based Hen X Gold Based Rooster = Gold, Silver split males, & Gold Females.

Black Skin Silkie Rooster X White Skin Silkie Hen = White skinned Males, & Black Skinned Females.

Cuckoo Silkie Hen X Solid Colored Silkie Rooster = Barred Males, & Solid Females.

So you can make a sex link Silkie?
I realized my calculation was backwards in my first explanation for sex linking skin color. Correcting myself.

Make sure the Father is a Silkie, & the mother a Sablepoot. This will produce:

50% Black Skinned Females

50% White Skinned Males

Back
Top Bottom