Cross breeding question!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RockyPhoenix, May 27, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    i really want to know what would happen if i bred a buff orpington hen with my buff silkie rooster?

would i get a medium size buff orpington silkie cross??? thanks!

2. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't know all that much except to say that crosses can come out with unusual features - not a straight forward this plus that equals thus. And there is no guarantee that the size will be an exact mix, you could end up with a full size chicken or a tiny one. As soon as you cross two breeds especially two that are so different you have a world of possibilities. The silkie usually passes on the 5 toes, black skin, crest and muff and beard, and their eyes seem to be dominant with the crosses we've had. BUt I think it would probably be absolutely adorable and a sweetheart to boot. Go for it and then post pics for us when they hatch!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Do it! then you will know [​IMG]

4. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    im afraid they will be mutations....well obviously if im introducing a new breed it IS a mutation but i mean like twisted legs no feathers one eye...that kind of thing...i know its unlikely but ive never done anything like this before...

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:no Crossbreeding is done all the time, they should be fine. you should get medium sized, buff colored birds, that will have smooth feathers, most likely some degree of leg feathering, and possibly, dark skin, and a small crest/tuft.

Silkie crosses are always cute.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    well this has become my summer project!! haha im excited to try it now!! thanks for the advice!

7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:I believe it would be pretty straight forward... you'd likely get a smooth feathered, partially crested, feather-shanked, buff colored bird in medium size, somewhere between bantam and standard size. If your buff orp hen is production and not standard bred, it would likely be closer to bantam size. If your silkie is bearded, the offspring may exhibit some type of bearding itself. The only way your offspring would be silkie feathered is if your BO carried the silkie feather gene, which it likely does not. However, every offspring produced from this cross would be a silkie feather gene carrier. Cross those offspring and you'll get a much larger percentage of silkied feathers with the above characteristics I already mentioned. Most of the f1 crosses should single combed. The f2 generation you should see peacombs popping up when two recessive genes come together.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    Quote:I believe it would be pretty straight forward... you'd likely get a smooth feathered, partially crested, feather-shanked, buff colored bird in medium size, somewhere between bantam and standard size. If your buff orp hen is production and not standard bred, it would likely be closer to bantam size. If your silkie is bearded, the offspring may exhibit some type of bearding itself. The only way your offspring would be silkie feathered is if your BO carried the silkie feather gene, which it likely does not. However, every offspring produced from this cross would be a silkie feather gene carrier. Cross those offspring and you'll get a much larger percentage of silkied feathers with the above characteristics I already mentioned. Most of the f1 crosses should single combed. The f2 generation you should see peacombs popping up when two recessive genes come together.

OKAY! im glad you said it that way...recessive dominant f1 and f2 because that makes complete sense rather than this next generation and the one after that but they wont have silkie feathers ccuz the moms and orpington (uhhh what?) hahah but thanks that really helped! i was hoping the chicks would turn out something like tht....[​IMG]

9. haweshome

haweshome New Egg

Jun 22, 2009
    You will get a bird that is about mid-way in size between the two parents. If you use the Orpington as the mother the offspring may be a little larger than mid-way becasue of the larger egg size of the dam. Egg size influences chick size. The chicks will probably have extra toes because five toes are dominant, they will have normal feathering, probaly rose combs, because most Silkies have rose combs and that is dominant to single. The color will probably be buff but that's hard to say because buff is a rather compicated color. Maybe someone else has made this cross. They will probably have dark skin and a small crest as well. Have fun. Haweshome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by