Cross breeding question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tmoore8595, Jan 1, 2012.

1. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    Does anyone know of a site that shows the results of cross breeding chickens. I need pictures please.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The calculator confuses many people. You select the colors you want in the english drop down section and then click To chicken calculator on the right side, then on the next page, click calculate crossing at the bottom of the bottom of the page.

Do you have any specific crosses you would like to know about ?

4. tmoore8595

tmoore8595 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Jefferson County, Al.
    Quote:I have some black australorp hens and no rooster. I was wondering what I would get if I crossed them with a RIR rooster.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:I have some black australorp hens and no rooster. I was wondering what I would get if I crossed them with a RIR rooster.

Basically black offspring. Some leakage that the calculator will not show is possible, or maybe even likely.

Here is a rooster from a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Black Australorp hen to show what I am talking about with "leakage". Some were this gold color and some were more of a mahogony red, but all four roosters had it.

[​IMG]

The pullets from this cross were solid black. No leakage. That does not mean there won't be, just that I did not get any. The two black ones on the right are pulllets for that SS over BA cross. The light is not great but they are solid black.

[​IMG]

6. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Some of those crosses will look downright Copper!

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep, leakage is one thing the calculator does not show and you will likely get a good bit of leakage, especially in the roos when breeding gold/red to black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by