Cross Breeding Question

cochinGurl

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
bellingham
I have a half homer half roller male pigeon. he does not roll or display any other roller traits. his mate is a full blooded homer. if they were to have babies, would they be considered homers and have the homing instinct? any one have experience with cross bred homers? thanks!

Any squabs would still be considered crossbreds, but would probably have a relatively strong homing instinct.

I actually developed a flock of Homer/Birmingham roller crossbreds searching for something that was more hawk resistant than the pure rollers. Most crosses at best do single flips or rock back and 'tail ride'. I never produced any that were good rollers. They were stronger fliers and better at surviving hawk attacks than pure rollers.

thank you so much for the input. I have decided to start letting this pair breed. Ive been doing some research and came accross quite a few people who intentionally cross rollers to homers, which is super conviniant for my situation.
The roller x homer male pigeon happened by accident. his parents abandoned him at five days old after I changed the hay in their nest bowl (which I had done many times with other pairs with no ill affects). I wound up hand raising him, so he is very tame and special to me. I recently re-homed all of my mixed breed birds him. since there's no way I'm ever re-homing him I thought he would just be a loveable space taker upper in my loft, so it's awesome to find out that he can be part of my breeding program. he's a beautiful bird, im so exited to see how their offspring turn out. :)

here they are: Sebastian my hand raised crossbreed (the black and white one) and Syd the white homer.

Back
Top Bottom