cross breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cherokeefarms, Jul 18, 2010.

1. cherokeefarms

cherokeefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    creole
    has anyone crossed Ameraucana and black Australorp and if so what were the end results of hens

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Assuming that the Ameraucanas are true blue egg laying chickens, resulting pullets would be olive eggers laying an olive colored egg of some shade or other.

3. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I came here today to ask the EXACT same question. [​IMG] He will hop on anything that moves, but he prefers one particular hen. The problem is I'm not sure which one is hers exactly. [​IMG] I eat and sell the eggs so this is a problem. Is there a way on day 1 to tell if the egg in the nest is fertile or not? They all go straight to the refrigerator after I remove them from under my broody hen.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I have two...not old enough to lay yet.
    One is black with lovely black muffs.......one is blue with black muffs.
    Simply beautiful...............

5. cherokeefarms

cherokeefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    creole
    result i am hoping for is a good free range chicken that lays very well not worried about color of eggs ive found americanas to be extremely good and harty free range chickens that dont get sick very often and the black australorps to be very good layers but have never crossed them i was hoping some one could give me insight of results of crossing before i started my experiment

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by