Cross breeding ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Keno, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I'm new to this chicken ranching and have a question of cross breeding. I have Jersey Giants and Light Brahmas and am planning on keeping a couple roosters of each and several hens of each. Is their a problem if there is cross breeding between the two other than not being a pure strain ? I was planning on using the offspring for meat and eggs .

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Jersey Giants are not worth their weight in meat as far as I am concerned. They grow very slow, eat tons of feed and are late to produce eggs. If you want meat buy the cornish crosses, feed them 8 - 10 weeks and put them in your freezer. You'll have to grow those jersey's to 15 - 20 weeks and still get a very thinly meated bird who eats more feed than you can justify. By that age they'll be tough and only good for stewing.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    What you want is a duel purpose chicken if you want meat and eggs,but dont want cornish type chickens.
    I have selveral duel purpsose breeds and realy like them.
    If you want to cross breed them there should be no proublem.As long as you dont have to many rooster to hen ratio.i belive its one rooster to about 8-10 hens.
    Of course that means we will need to see pictures of the offspring.

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

A better dual purpose breed would probably be a rock. They make fine table birds I hear, and lay very well!

5. Keno

Keno Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Well a dual porpose is what I am wanting . I see a vote against the Giant ,but how about the Light Brahmas ?
    On the breed chart at one of the hatchery sites show both the Brahmas and Giants as dual purpose .This is getting confusing.

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Those breeds might be able to be used as dual purpose, but it's just that there are more suitable birds that suit those purposes better. Grow faster, lay faster and/or lay more consistently etc.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:Brahmas arent the best layers, but when they do, they lay a beautiful big brown egg. i would go with slower growing cornish and rhode island reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by