Cross breeds

All my chickens have a single comb except the Brahma has a pea comb. I had never considered crossing could change combs. As it is half my chickens have slightly disfigured combs from fowl pox last year, some spikes on the comb turned black and fell off. I don't really care what they look like as long as they're healthy and happy. I've tried reading into genetics of chick breeding a little but its way over my head and I don't have a serious interest in breeding, just letting them go through their natural phases of brooding if or when they come about. Having people break it down in basic english is very helpful so thanks for that, I really appreciate it. My only real concern is learning what breeding I should not allow because of defects that could be fatal or reduce their quality of life and inbreeding which I'm still researching.
With the feather foot gene from the Brahma, her offspring will have feathered feet as well but will that be less feathered than hers or would each chick have varying amounts of feathers?

All my chickens have a single comb except the Brahma has a pea comb. I had never considered crossing could change combs.
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.
If your "Wyandottes" have single comb, then they will breed like any other single comb chicken. You will not see rose combs in the chicks unless at least one parent has a rose comb.

My only real concern is learning what breeding I should not allow because of defects that could be fatal or reduce their quality of life
That should not be a problem with the chickens you have.

I cannot think of any case where crossing two breeds would make defects more likely.

The defects I know of that are fatal happen with purebreds (ear tuft in Araucanas, short legs in Japanese bantams.) Breeding two frizzles can produce frazzles, with reduced quality/length of life. Your list did not have any of those.

and inbreeding which I'm still researching.
Inbreeding is not usually an issue with chickens, at least for several generations. The first signs are usually birds that do not grow as well, and reduced hatchability of eggs.

With the feather foot gene from the Brahma, her offspring will have feathered feet as well but will that be less feathered than hers or would each chick have varying amounts of feathers?
Chicks from the Brahma will most likely have less feathering on their feet, but there could be variation from one chick to another.

Last edited:
I have hens sitting on eggs and I'm sure I got at least 1 from each chicken but since they are different breeds I know the chicks may and will be cross breeds and I'm just curious to know what they may look like. I had 2 males up until a week ago, they were all penned together and both mated with the girls so it can go either way on who the daddy is. We got rid of the speckled sussex boy because he was human aggressive.

Males
·Speckled Sussex
·Blue laced red Wyandotte

Females
·Speckled Sussex
·Blue laced red Wyandotte
·Blue laced gold Wyandotte
·Dark Brahma
·Blue Orpington
·Partridge Rock

If anyone has crossed these chickens before and have pictures to share, I'd love to see what these babies may look like.
Hi there. How are your chicks doing? I'd love to see what your crosses look like.

This year we crossbred Speckled Sussex (dad) and Splash Laced Red Wyandotte (mom). Here are pictures of what we are calling our three chipmunks for now - all 3 are girls. If you look carefully, there is an orange chipmunk, a gray chipmunk, and a brown chipmunk.

Attachments

• CD46CC1F-385E-409D-9705-9CCB6805690F.jpeg
    CD46CC1F-385E-409D-9705-9CCB6805690F.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 1
  • 4F1E19CA-5D2D-4975-A24D-E0DDDF3F4F65.jpeg
    4F1E19CA-5D2D-4975-A24D-E0DDDF3F4F65.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 1
  • D787C433-14FF-48DB-8152-923E613E7569.jpeg
    D787C433-14FF-48DB-8152-923E613E7569.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom