Cross breeds

Jul 22, 2021
I have hens sitting on eggs and I'm sure I got at least 1 from each chicken but since they are different breeds I know the chicks may and will be cross breeds and I'm just curious to know what they may look like. I had 2 males up until a week ago, they were all penned together and both mated with the girls so it can go either way on who the daddy is. We got rid of the speckled sussex boy because he was human aggressive.

Males
·Speckled Sussex
·Blue laced red Wyandotte

Females
·Speckled Sussex
·Blue laced gold Wyandotte
·Dark Brahma
·Blue Orpington
·Partridge Rock

If anyone has crossed these chickens before and have pictures to share, I'd love to see what these babies may look like.

I've done a lot of crossing in my flock, but not with those particular breeds or colorations (I've done double laced, single laced, blue/black, patridge, red based, barred). And..I still get my head twisted with blue/black/splash (BbS). I almost have it, and then (see edit now), I have to go back over it...all to say it's a bit complicated as to what you will get due to some pretty complicated genetics.

From my experience, I would have guessed you are going to have a lot of black chicks that will be non-discriminate because blue and black aren't straight forward...as I *think* you need Blue/Blue to get blue. That means most of the chicks, unless the mother and dad is a blue bird, will get a Blue/Black genetic code, and black is usually dominant over red, which your Speckled Sussex is considered, a red based bird, with motling.

But...this is in lacing....(hence my edit as I was thinking base color, not lacing)

Lacing needs to be double to present cleanly, though one lacing gene will show incomplete lacing. I had a mille fleur I bred from, but that didn't pass down at all, so I suspect speckling/motling from the sussex will be similar.

So my gut reaction is you're going to get a lot of red chicks with various incomplete lacings. Then a lot of partridge looking chicks that may have a fleck or two of white. My guesses.

I'm posting to see if anyone has any good ideas for you @NatJ . I will post the gene calculator below to run some scenarios on of your particular possible matchings.

I'll be interested to see what others say.
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

LofMc

Last edited:
Aha....I found the red mottled pattern and did that with the blue laced red:
25% Pullets, blue patterned red incomplete laced
25% Pullets, black patterned red incomplete laced
25% Cockerels, blue patterned red incomplete laced
25% Cockerels, black patterned red incomplete laced

You're keeping a lot of the red base, obviously due to a lot of red base in the birds, with lacing colors looping in and out of blue pattern and black pattern.

Interesting.

I can't find what breeds create the jubilee orpington but I was really curious if the blue orpington crossed with the speckled sussex if the result would look something like the jubilee?

I can't find what breeds create the jubilee orpington but I was really curious if the blue orpington crossed with the speckled sussex if the result would look something like the jubilee?

Hopefully a real expert will chime in. I've got some basics down, but when you get into multiple genetics being juggled, I still get confused.

I ran blue over red mottled...and you won't get jublilee..you get a lot of blue and black unicolor. Which was my original guess...that you'd get a lot of black unicolor chicks depending on the mixes.

25% Pullets, blue unicolor/self*E
25% Pullets, black unicolor/self*E
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor/self*E
25% Cockerels, black unicolor/self*E

From my experience, you are going to have a lot of black chicks that will be non-discriminate because blue is recessive. You need Blue/Blue to get blue. That means most of the chicks, unless the mother is a blue bird, will get a Blue/Black genetic code, and black is usually dominant over red, which your Speckled Sussex is considered, a red based bird, with motling.
I think you're confusing blue and lavender.
Blue x anything tends to give a lot of blue chicks.

Lavender is recessive. Crossing a Lavender parent to anything else gives chicks that carry the lavender gene but do not show it.

Blue is an incompletel dominant, that affects black but not red.
One copy of the blue gene turns black into blue.
Two copies of the blue gene turn black into splash.

The various breeding combinations for black/blue/splash:
Black x black produces only black.
Splash x splash produces only splash.
Black x splash produces 100% blues.
Blue x blue produces 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash.
Black x blue produces 50% each of black and blue.
Blue x splash produces 50% each of blue and splash.

All of the black/blue/splash information applies to the "black" parts of the chicken.
In the case of Laced Wyandottes, it applies to the lacing but not the red.
In crosses with Speckled Sussex or other breeds, it will affect the black parts only, not the red or white parts.

Males
·Speckled Sussex

Females
·Speckled Sussex
·Blue laced gold Wyandotte
·Dark Brahma
·Blue Orpington
·Partridge Rock
I don't have any photos.
What I think you will get:

Purebred Speckled Sussex
Purebred Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (will actually have some black laced red, some blue laced red, some splash laced red).

Speckled Sussex x Blue Laced Red Wyandotte should give chicks that have a lot of red and some amount of black or blue (black in 50% of chicks, blue in 50% of chicks). The black or blue will not make proper lacing, but may look sort-of like lacing. The white dots in Speckled Sussex are caused by the mottling gene, which is recessive, so you will not see that in the chicks.
These chicks will probably have rose combs, but there is some chance of single combs because some Wyandottes carry the recessive gene for not-rose.
For this cross, it does not matter which parent is which breed.

Either rooster x Dark Brahma hen, chicks will probably hatch with very dark down, but as they grow feathers they will be sex-linked. Daughters will be red with some kind of black pattern. Sons will be white with some kind of black pattern, but the "white" may be yellowish, and they may have bits of red leaking through in the shoulders and a few other places. Chicks from the Laced Wyandotte rooster will probably show a pattern that looks more like lacing than the chicks from the Speckled Sussex rooster. The white mottling of the Speckled Sussex will not be visible, but all his chicks will carry the gene.
These chicks will have feathered feet.
Chicks with a Speckled Sussex father will have modified pea combs (combs will probably be bigger than the comb on a pure Brahma, and may look like a blobby lump instead of having a nice tidy shape.)
Chicks with a Wyandotte father will have walnut combs, which are wide (like a rose comb) and can be blobby (like a pea-cross comb.) There is a chance of modified pea comb instead, if the Wyandotte rooster carries the gene for not-rose comb.

Speckled Sussex rooster x Blue Orpington hen, chicks will probably be solid black or solid blue (about half each way.) The color will not be associated with the gender of the chicks. Those "solid" color chicks will probably show some red leakage as they grow up, especially in the breasts of the hens and shoulders of the roosters. Roosters may get some white leakage as well. The white mottling of the Speckled Sussex will not be visible, but all his chicks will carry the gene. Clean legs, single comb.

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster x Blue Orpington hen, chicks solid black (25%) or blue (50%) or splash (25%). Possible leakage, just like for Speckled Sussex rooster with that hen. Clean legs, rose comb, chance of single comb.

Speckled Sussex x Partridge Rock hen, chicks will have some pattern of red and black, no sex linkage. The pattern may or may not look much like lacing. Chicks from the Speckled Sussex father will carry the mottling gene but not show it. Clean legs, single comb.

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster x Partridge Rock hen, chicks will have some pattern of red and black (50%) or red and blue (50%). The pattern will probably look more like lacing with this father, than with the Sussex father. Clean legs, rose comb, chance of single comb.

Blue Laced Gold Wyandotte hen, chicks should be the same as chicks from a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen, but the shade of red/gold may be lighter.

To get jubilee in Orpingtons: crossing Spangled Old English Games with Dorkings and then crossing the outcome with Buff Orpingtons.

So you won't be rebuilding jubilee in one step.

I wish I could help more. I'm still learning genetics as I breed and cross breed in my flock.

LofMc

Not in the first generations, at least.

Here is a thread discussing Jubilee Orpingtons:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-imported-english-jubilee-orpington-thread.582401/

Based on the photos, I think the Jubilee Orpingtons are colored about the same as a Speckled Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom