Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics
These three were my first group of chicks. This beautiful guy is a buff Orpington x leghorn. Dad is the white roo bellow. Can't wait to see what he develops into.
The two next to him are his sisters, a buff Orpington x leghorn and a black sexlink x leghorn. The black has purple and green in her in the right light and the buff is really light. Hopefully she keeps her blonde color.

Last edited:
. I don't really know what breed she could be. But she looks like a cross breed
smile.png
if anybody has an idea on what she could be PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Thank you
smile.png
This one looks like my EE Smokey. Here is her picture. Mine is between 4 and 5 years old.

Here are some pictures of a few of my other mixed breeds. They were hatched in March (the photos are a couple weeks old. I need to get some updated ones) Ive got some frizzles, Turkens, Cochins, EE's and this one that has no tail! I think possibly from one of my hens that that were White Ameracauna/crested creamlegbar with my cochin roo. I am guessing a stray gene from the hens...

Here is a picture of my handsome "Big Boy" Cochin mix roo.

Thanks. I am a bit sad because he has gotten so large that my 3 daughters are getting a little nervous around him. I think I need to get rid of him, but he is so pretty. His daddy was big pure Buckeye and mama was a white Cochin. So far he is not aggressive, just large and in charge!

Thanks.  I am a bit sad because he has gotten so large that my 3 daughters are getting a little nervous around him.  I think I need to get rid of him, but he is so pretty.  His daddy was big pure Buckeye and mama was a white Cochin.  So far he is not aggressive, just large and in charge!
aww, yes, with little ones I understand. I hope we don't have any problems later. I have a 4 year old and this is our first flock.
That is such a neat cross! I do love both of those. How the genetics play out always intrigues me. If he's not charging hopefully it will all be okay but you know best. How old are your girls?

I've got 3, ages 7,5 and 3! We have 4 roosters now and I have another similar in coloring to this Big boy. He is just a bit smaller so he is the one the girls want to keep. I usually do not allow myself to get attached to the roosters. They either go live someplace else or become dinner since we hatch and raise up so many birds in the spring. My oldest daughter is very tenderhearted though and always wants to keep them all. ;)

I've got 3, ages 7,5 and 3! We have 4 roosters now and I have another similar in coloring to this Big boy. He is just a bit smaller so he is the one the girls want to keep. I usually do not allow myself to get attached to the roosters. They either go live someplace else or become dinner since we hatch and raise up so many birds in the spring. My oldest daughter is very tenderhearted though and always wants to keep them all. ;)
I bet! I was like that, got attached to all sorts of animals and even had A chicken once. I didn't know they were social and it joined my grandma's flock, i guess. I drove my stepdad crazy, feeding the mice dog food out in the shed when I was little too. Oops LOL Does eating your own birds bother her?
You have quite a crew,! :)
I'm curious, how and when did you introduce yours to the concept of your own birds as food? Mine is real sensitive and we've been talking to him about where meat comes from. He gets that it comes from animals, I think, but he still says from the store. I'll have to ship him off to Mamaw's on processing day, I think. Just wondering how others start the process, since we don't live on a farm where this is a common occurrence.
Good luck with your roos. Do they squabble a lot?

Question : Ameracauna roo over brown egg layers. Will the offspring be olive eggers, or does it need to be vice versa, or does it matter?

I bet! I was like that, got attached to all sorts of animals and even had A chicken once. I didn't know they were social and it joined my grandma's flock, i guess. I drove my stepdad crazy, feeding the mice dog food out in the shed when I was little too. Oops LOL Does eating your own birds bother her?
You have quite a crew,! :)
I'm curious, how and when did you introduce yours to the concept of your own birds as food? Mine is real sensitive and we've been talking to him about where meat comes from. He gets that it comes from animals, I think, but he still says from the store. I'll have to ship him off to Mamaw's on processing day, I think. Just wondering how others start the process, since we don't live on a farm where this is a common occurrence.
Good luck with your roos. Do they squabble a lot?

My kids do not really know any different. When we first started with chickens we purchased pullets, so of course we didn't talk about eating them. Then a relative of mine who also started with chicks at the same time I did, discovered one of hers was a rooster. She lives near town and cannot have roosters, and since we live on 15 acres I took him in so we could start hatching our own chicks. The second year when we started hatching our own we spoke to the kids about the extra roosters being food. We we're open about what would happen with them, but didn't make them watch or help when it came to processing time. I think it was hardest on the oldest because she loved all the hens so much, then loves all the chicks and at first didn't understand why you can only have 1 or two Roos. That original rooster developed a bad attitude over the winter and after we hatched eggs in the spring the kids could not wait to eat him!

I send the kids away when we do processing, and I tell the oldest one it comes from the farmers market. (That is where I was purchasing chicken from before we decided to raise our own.). She has been here when her abuelita took a few roosters, but then I let her choose and as long as she doesn't have to watch or eat it she doesn't get upset. She knows we raise them for food, but does have reservations. I try to keep her feelings in mind when deciding which roosters to keep for the next years breeding because she always has a few favorites.

As far as raising them together, I have been fairly lucky. I found that if they are all raised together and then I move the Roos to separate housing at about two months I have very few fights. If they show signs of aggression or bad temperament we dispatch them the next chance we get. I have kids underfoot almost all of the time and it makes no sense to keep a rooster with a bad temper. The 4 that I have now were hatched last year and raised together. I now have 1 with my hens and the other 3 live in a smaller bachelor pad. ;)

As far as egg color, I am still learning all about the genes, but I think it would give all olive eggers. To get blue eggs you have to have 2 of the genes. If there is one blue and one brown, you get olive eggers. And two brown is brown. It is just a guess, but there are tons of people here who really do know the answer. I have looked it up before.

Back
Top Bottom