Crossbeak in a farm setting?

farm_mom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
MI
I have a two week old crossbeak EE. I've done a crossbeak search here at the forum and see that many of you take special care of your crossbeaks, and that they become pets. While I applaud and respect your efforts, that's not in the cards here. We raise our birds for meat and eggs. I've also read that many of you clip your birds beaks back a bit so that they meet up better. Here are some pics of the little guy. I'm thinking he's not going to benefit from clipping.....or is he?
HPIM2695.jpg

HPIM2696.jpg

HPIM2704.jpg

The chick eats and drinks and is the same size as the rest of the birds. I'm wondering if anyone has raised a crossbeak in a farm setting, with the other birds and it made it to butchering or to be a good layer? I don't really want to cull the bird as it's doing well. Just not sure if it will get worse as it ages. It doesn't seem fair to keep it if it's only going to get worse and suffer later in life. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
I had one that was that bad...then by the time it was an adult, it was at a 90 deg angle. A coon finally got him just before I was going to do the deed myself. He was always hungry, skinny, and probably did ok because I use deep dish feeders and bowls for water. However, on a purely production setting, a hungry small bird isn't going to live the best life. It is up to you. Trimming in that case probably won't help too much.

Quote:
If I lived closer, I would take him. I have so many special care cases (none of them chickens) one more would make no difference. If it's healthy, I would let it live and worry about it only if it went down hill.

Thank you both for sharing your opinions. And I would gladly give him to either of you to adopt if you lived closer.

It seems you have two options. First you can cull it now or you can re-home it with someone who has time to waste hand feeding her. The third option of leaving her alone to attempt to live and eventually die of starvation is not an option as you have stated.

Jim

I have a cross beaked pullet now and is doing well...I trimmed her top beak a little and she keeps up with the rest of the chickens. She eats drinks and forages on her own. She is growing and shows no signs of slowing down.
I don't think that you should worry too much about it....I would not include the chick in the breeding population, however if it is a pullet then the eggs will taste just like the others!
If a cockerel, I would probably add him to the dinner menu at the same age that any other cockerel not used for breeding would be (I think around 4-6months?)
Anyway, any decision you make YOU need to be happy with.
Take care,
-nj

Back
Top Bottom