crossed beak discussion

tiffrosef

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
I've seen a few threads on here discussing crossed beak or scissor beak chickens. A lot of people recommend culling in this situation, and I'm kinda wondering why? Maybe my experience isn't the norm, but my crossed beak girl Joker is a champ. I switched their food to fermented and she eats that just fine. As long as she's got some moist food to eat she does great. She's got spunk and personality, she has a little harder time grooming herself but it doesn't prohibit her. Its a severe one too, I'll post pics.

Has anyone else raised a cross beak with success?

Any tips for me with my sweet Joker?

Oh, I see her! Well, some people do recommend culling. For a few different reasons. You don't want to breed them because it can show up in the offspring. And the other reason is because you don't want the poor thing to starve to death. You know how chickens are, when the food comes, especially a treat, they all run and gobble it up as quickly as they can.

I think anybody can successfully care for a cross beak, but you HAVE to pay special attention to them and make sure they can eat, and that they get enough to eat.

A deeper bowl is a good idea because they often have to scoop up the food. That's about the only tip I have.

Sounds like you're doing a good job of making sure she's eating. I would actually pick her up and feel her weigh periodically, so you know for sure she wasn't skinny too, because those feathers can make them look bigger.

One of the sad things is that as they grow, the cross beak seems to get worse. I guess it's a skull deformity, more than a beak deformity. If it gets to the point that she is suffering and just can't seem to get enough food, then yes, I would cull. Starving is an awful way to go.

Take care and have a great day,
Sharon

She eats great, I make sure she stays about the same size as my other girls. So far she is the most vocal and the most silly of all my chickens. If she became unable to eat I would do what was right but I feel like I owe her the chance to try to survive.

She eats great, I make sure she stays about the same size as my other girls. So far she is the most vocal and the most silly of all my chickens. If she became unable to eat I would do what was right but I feel like I owe her the chance to try to survive.
I'm glad she's a happy hen and sounds like she's lucky to have you watching over her. :)

Back
Top Bottom