Crossed Beak: How Bad is Bad? UPDATED 4/6!

Now That is twisted! She looks SOOOO happy to have her photo taken! lol
tongue.png

lively Bee's :

Meet twisted
smile.png

ep.gif
Now THAT'S twisted! Is that a pullet, or is she full-grown? And she gets by alright, eh? Good to know!
big_smile.png

4H -Wow, a bird that'll hold still for a Dremel?! I'm still trying to get my dog to let me do that (she hates any kind of nail trimming, and her black nails prevent me from taking too much at a time)!

Thanks so much!​

she is 8 weeks old she is half the size of her sisters but she dont let the other chicks bully her around. When we give them treats like corn pea etc we pick her up and give her some so now she runs over and wonts to be picked up and held
smile.png
but with the deep feeder she can eat with no problems
cool.png

ml, my little girl was several months old before I took her in the first time.

Last edited:
Thanks lively Bee's and beckt!

I keep a trough feeder and a small deep dish in their brooder, and she seems to like the dish best -though she does like to stand on the trough to "dig in." I'll have to do something like that when they go out to the coop.

My vet is avian and said they do trimming (of all kinds) -yay!- so I'll take her in when she's a little older.

Thanks again!
big_smile.png

So now after the update, I'm wondering if this speedy progression is normal and just how far it will go. It's so sad seeing her tiny little tongue flip out every now and then! And I'm afraid the others may peck at it if they see it -has this happened to any of you with cross-beaked chickens?

My Ameraucana chicks are 3 weeks today and I have been keeping an eye on one we call "Twisty". Original, eh? Well, anyway, her beak is getting progressively worse and even though she is not one we had originally planned on keeping, I am afarid to give her up and have someone else kill her. SHe is smaller than the others and inside the bottom beak, it looks like her toungue is drying out. I have read all the posts on this and another regarding beaks. What do you think I should do...trim it? And if so Can anyone post pics of them doing it, so I can have an example...I am a visual person
smile.png

Last edited:
Jimagination- from what I've been reading about this, you shouldn't trim the bottom beak (unless it's curving UP) because it grows slower and is almost completely quick (the inner growing part).

I've been giving "Cheeks" a daily check-up and cleaning her beak as necessary -sometimes the food dries on it. I have yet to try trimming or filing the upper beak because she makes such a fuss when I hold her head. It will need to be done soon though, so I'll try to get the hubby to take some pictures while I attempt it -good idea!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom