Crossed beak

17859_005.jpg
[/img]
Here is the pic thanks to my DS.

This is Tribble, our banty cochin with a twisted beak/head:
Tribble.jpg

Her beak isn't as bd as some I've see here. Her beak isn't growing very quickly right now but it does grow. It gets long especially since she doesn't peck at the ground as much as the other girls do. I trim it with fingernail clippers and a file. DBF calls it her "beakicure".

Crossie's beak curves way down on top and way up on the bottom. I don't think it gets much wear from pecking. I asked my vet about it. But of course she didn't know alot. She does trim parrot beaks and she uses a dremel tool. Do you think that would work on a chicken? My DH said he didn't think he could help me. I don't know why.
hmm.png
I think he's the chicken.
lol.png

Parrots' beaks are REALLY strong because it's designed to crack hard nuts. A dremel would be overkill for a chicken's softer beak.

Just whip out a set of nail clippers and trim off the end a teensy bit at a time. A bird's beak has a spot in it, just like a dog's claw or your fingernail, where is stops being unfeeling tissue and starts having blood vessels and nerves. You'll probably be able to see light through the thinner edges of the beak, so trim part back that and it should be fine. When you're done, use a file to shape the beak edge.

Easy! This will take you a max of 5 mins.

I had a little rooster with a crossed beak,he didn't survive ,even with all the special care we gave him.He was the sweetest little guy.We named him FREAKY BEAKY ...:
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom