Crossing breeds

Do you know who the mothers were, and how many chicks are males vs. females?

I do not. All 3 hens were laying eggs in the same place.
Out of 8 chicks, 5 are female and 2 are male.
One unfortunately fell victim to a dog attack and I don't know what gender it was.

The young black hen was hatched in an incubator . From 10 eggs, I had 10 chicks and all survived the chick stage. Sounds like a great success. Yes?
Nine turned out to be roosters. 😩

I do not. All 3 hens were laying eggs in the same place.
Out of 8 chicks, 5 are female and 2 are male.
One unfortunately fell victim to a dog attack and I don't know what gender it was.

The young black hen was hatched in an incubator . From 10 eggs, I had 10 chicks and all survived the chick stage. Sounds like a great success. Yes?
Hmm. If he sired 5 barred daughters, there's a good chance he is pure for the barring gene, although not an absolute certainty. Females get barring only from their father, so that's why females are a good test in this case. Males can inherit barring from their mother too.

If the barred male does turn out to be pure for the barring gene, then he cannot be the father of your black (not barred) pullet.

If you want to do further testing, you can cross the barred male with the hens that have no barring. In that situation, if he is pure for barring, you will see it in every chick. If he has one barring gene and one not-barred gene you will get about 50% barred chicks and about 50% not-barred chicks. Even a single not-barred chick would be enough to prove that he has the not-barred gene. (But the 5 barred daughters already show that there is a 31 in 32 chance that he is pure for barring, with a 1 in 32 chance that he carries not-barred. So further testing to double-check may not be worth the bother.)

From 10 eggs, I had 10 chicks and all survived the chick stage. Sounds like a great success. Yes?
It is so frustrating when that happens :(
I once had 9 males out of 11 chicks (one more female than you got, but still not very good.)

With regard to hatching 9 roosters.
My stepdaughter blames me for it. LOL.
I picked eggs that looked similar and the were elongated. She said that she read that rounder eggs are female and more oval are male.
I read that too, but some people said it was not true.
Maybe next time I will only keep the roundish eggs for hatching.

With regard to hatching 9 roosters.
My stepdaughter blames me for it. LOL.
I picked eggs that looked similar and the were elongated. She said that she read that rounder eggs are female and more oval are male.
I read that too, but some people said it was not true.
Maybe next time I will only keep the roundish eggs for hatching.
You could tell her you were following the advice of Pliny the Elder, who wrote about two thousand years ago. (Natural History, Volume 2, Book 10, Chapter 74 "The various kinds of eggs, and their nature." You can find an English translation here on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60230 )

He says, "The rounder eggs are those which produce the female, the others the male."

Seriously, the egg shape does not seem to be a useful predictor of whether you will get male chicks or female chicks.

Different hens can lay eggs with different shapes. So if you hatch the longest eggs one time, and the roundest eggs the next time, you will probably be hatching eggs from different hens.

Back
Top Bottom