crossing CORNISH CROSS?

Quote:
I agree with you, except that they don't use leghorn hens, they use an strain of CornishX maternal line with a sex linked Dwarfism gene. this makes for smaller hens that east less and occupy less room and when breed to "Normal" paternal line of CornishX roos, the Roos get one shot of the sex linked dwarfism(described as "dw" which is recessive by the way) and the hens lack that dwarfism gene, making them normal...

I say combine a good laying large breed of rooster with a "normal" cornishX hen that has been feed restricted, this will stunt her grown and make her small and manageable but she will pass her large frame and faster growth to her chicks...

more on the use of dw dwarf gene..

Sire broiler line consist of A and B line will be Dw+(lacking the dwarf gene and dominant)

dame line consist of C and D lines. For the female of the CxD cross to be a dwarf, the C line must be homozygous for the dw gene, strain D being preferable normal so the brother of the dame line will be of normal size and can be sold as broilers

at first when I started my project I believed that using a few food restricted males over much larger population of good sized Isa browns(they don't eat as much as dual purposes breeds but lay alot more) could produce large amount of good sized broilers, but it was hard for me at the time to keep them small enough, even feed restricted this boys where too large... maybe in the future I'll give it another try..

Last edited:
thank you guys!
Clay Valley Farmer, Ridgerunner and especially RAREROO and nicalandia!

wow, i got lots of information from u, very much appreciated!
clap.gif
clap.gif

i actually plan to breed some dual-purpose hens, but u know.. im very very new to this. so i'll follow what u said. thanks again
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree with you, except that they don't use leghorn hens, they use an strain of CornishX maternal line with a sex linked Dwarfism gene. this makes for smaller hens that east less and occupy less room and when breed to "Normal" paternal line of CornishX roos, the Roos get one shot of the sex linked dwarfism(described as "dw" which is recessive by the way) and the hens lack that dwarfism gene, making them normal...

I say combine a good laying large breed of rooster with a "normal" cornishX hen that has been feed restricted, this will stunt her grown and make her small and manageable but she will pass her large frame and faster growth to her chicks...

Sire broiler line consist of A and B line will be Dw+(lacking the dwarf gene and dominant)

dame line consist of C and D lines. For the female of the CxD cross to be a dwarf, the C line must be homozygous for the dw gene, strain D being preferable normal so the brother of the dame line will be of normal size and can be sold as broilers

at first when I started my project I believed that using a few food restricted males over much larger population of good sized Isa browns(they don't eat as much as dual purposes breeds but lay alot more) could produce large amount of good sized broilers, but it was hard for me at the time to keep them small enough, even feed restricted this boys where too large... maybe in the future I'll give it another try..

Thanks for the info, I knew there was a 4way cross of strains to produce the broilers but I wasn't aware of the dwarfism gene.
And yep I know they don't use the leghorns but I was just mentioning that as a way for regular backyard farmers to slim down and increase the production in the hens since we don't have access to the actual maternal strain. I will also check out links you provided.

But I will be doing a bit of experimentation of my own just to see what I get. I will use a leghorn roo on some as well as a larger breed ( though I have already bred them with RIR and BO roos in the past). And ill play around and see what works best for me.

And good luck on your experiments bluefeather2697

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif

i actually plan to breed some dual-purpose hens, but u know.. im very very new to this. so i'll follow what u said. thanks again
big_smile.png

Cornish (Indian Game)X Rhode Island Red Hen
This produces a yellow skinned bird. The Rhode Island Red is a fast growing breed which dominates the slower growing Cornish (Indian Game). Cornish (Indian Game) rooster should be at least a year old so that fertility is high.

or

Cornish (Indian Game) X Light Sussex on Light Sussex
This is a second cross that was once very popular to produce a very meaty white fleshed table bird. The first cross results in slow growth but the second results in very fast growth.

In the Cornish X Light Sussex on Light Sussex cross above, you will bred a Cornish Rooster to a Light Sussex Hen then the (Hen) offspring of this cross would be crossed back to a Light Sussex Rooster

With either crosses I would recommend non-hatchery birds.

Chris

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I knew there was a 4way cross of strains to produce the broilers but I wasn't aware of the dwarfism gene.
And yep I know they don't use the leghorns but I was just mentioning that as a way for regular backyard farmers to slim down and increase the production in the hens since we don't have access to the actual maternal strain. I will also check out links you provided.

But I will be doing a bit of experimentation of my own just to see what I get. I will use a leghorn roo on some as well as a larger breed ( though I have already bred them with RIR and BO roos in the past). And ill play around and see what works best for me.

And good luck on your experiments bluefeather2697

g'luck on your experiment too!
big_smile.png

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif

big_smile.png

Cornish (Indian Game)X Rhode Island Red Hen
This produces a yellow skinned bird. The Rhode Island Red is a fast growing breed which dominates the slower growing Cornish (Indian Game). Cornish (Indian Game) rooster should be at least a year old so that fertility is high.

or

Cornish (Indian Game) X Light Sussex on Light Sussex
This is a second cross that was once very popular to produce a very meaty white fleshed table bird. The first cross results in slow growth but the second results in very fast growth.

In the Cornish X Light Sussex on Light Sussex cross above, you will bred a Cornish Rooster to a Light Sussex Hen then the (Hen) offspring of this cross would be crossed back to a Light Sussex Rooster

With either crosses I would recommend non-hatchery birds.

Chris

thanks for the info chris!
big_smile.png

I have so many projects on my head its not eve possible to finish them if I had a life time to do it..
lol.png

one of them would be sex linked broilers.. using sex linked dermal inhibitor(Id) and Fibromelanotic. I could sex them at hatch, girls would be black skinned and boys wont. selling the girls as layers and keeping the boys for meat..
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom