Crossing Leghorns and Old English Bantam

Zing 73

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
NW Missouri
I have Leghorns and Old English Bantams. If I were to cross them would a Leghorn rooster on OEB hens or OEB rooster on Leghorn hens work better? What size of bird could I expect? Has anyone done this and do you have pictures? How did it turn out if you have done it?

I don't have that cross but what I do have is a black australorp over a old English game bantam hen. They were all free range and for all intensive purposes she chose him to mate with. I have kept two of their offspring which both turned out to be pretty great egg layers and go broody like their mama and skittish like her as well. They are just a little longer than my cochin bantams in size.

I don't have that cross but what I do have is a black australorp over a old English game bantam hen. They were all free range and for all intensive purposes she chose him to mate with. I have kept two of their offspring which both turned out to be pretty great egg layers and go broody like their mama and skittish like her as well. They are just a little longer than my cochin bantams in size.
Thanks for the info and reply. Do you have any pictures?

I am thinking about attempting something similar. I have a OEGB hen that I’d love to breed with but all my roosters are LF. I accidentally crossed a Cemani rooster and a bantam Wyandotte hen but those are more similar in size (I guess) than the roosters I have now and this little hen. Will that even work? My roosters are pretty durn big but they’re all older and experienced.

I have Leghorns and Old English Bantams. If I were to cross them would a Leghorn rooster on OEB hens or OEB rooster on Leghorn hens work better? What size of bird could I expect? Has anyone done this and do you have pictures? How did it turn out if you have done it?
I am also breeding a backyard flock bred from crossing a leghorn rooster with OEG hens. My game hens are free range and roost in the trees at night and are very predator wary which is what I need. Here in Ireland the main predator threat comes from foxes, feral cats and monk and the OEG are quite adept at surviving them.The leghorn cross is to increase their egg laying production but still have a bird that is as flighty and hardy as the game hens.

Hi,
I'm living in Ireland and have started to breed OEG with Leghorns in an effort to develop a line of birds that are the ultimate free rangers. My game hens are extremely hardy and predator wary and roost outside in trees all year round. My aim is to produce birds that have the smarts and survival instincts if the OEG but with a higher rate of egg production. I also keep Old English Pheasant Fowl and intend to cross some of them into the lines eventually. How did your Leghorn X OEG turn out?

Back
Top Bottom