Crossing Sex Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Taylorbrooke150, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Taylorbrooke150

Taylorbrooke150 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    I recently Crossed my Gold Sex Link Hens with my Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster. The result is a white chick with a rose comb and looks as though it will be a splash. Assuming that the hens were a Wyandotte Rhode Island cross though gold sexlinks can be a number of different breeds im hoping to get a chick with Wyandotte characteristics. Has anyone ever done this cross before?

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    I am not sure I understand what you have said, but I can tell you that any cross with a wyandotte will give you some of the wide bodied appearance of the wyandotte. the silver gene in the rooster will make all the offspring white for the most part. I really can't tell you what the pattern might be.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've not done this cross before, but I can tell you a few things to about your birds....

If your rsl hens have wyandotte blood, they'll have rose combs. Rose is dominant over straight. If you hens have straight combs, they were a different recipe.

Your chick will likely be white or silver. Splash is black based, diluted twice. Your hens can carry white, but that doesn't dilute black, so it's not going to be splash. Likely white with black spots/flecks, maybe some red leakage esp if male.

1 person likes this.
  4. Taylorbrooke150

Taylorbrooke150 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Ok that makes sense so the Wyandotte has the more dominant characteristics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by