Crow as a Chicken Predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by elevan, Nov 21, 2011.

1. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

2 crows attacked one of my Polish hens and had her down pecking her to death! I yelled and they flew up allowing her the opportunity to get up and run to the barn (I thought she was dead, thank goodness she wasn't). Then I went for my gun and went after them. I'll now be shooting any crow that show an interest in my field I think [​IMG] Frieda (the Polish) had her ear area and neck ripped open. I applied Blu Kote to it all and she's resting comfortably in the barn.

I've never heard of crow attacking chickens [​IMG] Have you?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Really?! Oh god! I have so many crows around. Thankfully nothing like this has happened.. I'm very sorry [​IMG] I've heard that crows never bother chickens, but this just proves that theory is wrong..

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    WOW. I hve never heard of that. I have chickens that freerange. And crows all over. I have never worried. But I will definetly keep an eye out. I just see them chase the hawks away. How is your hen doing? I have heard they will steal chicken eggs if they can get to them though. Never seen it but hae heard it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. elevan

The crows have been around forever it seems without problem. I never even thought about them as a threat. And we still have plenty of bugs, weeds and grass here so I don't know why they would have attacked her.

5. brahmachickenlady

brahmachickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Dunnellon, FL
    I'm so sorry, but I've never heard of a crow doing something like that to a chicken. I usually toss them a couple of eggs to keep them around because they keep the hawks away. More than once they've saved a couple of my chickens from being carried away by going after the hawk when they had a hold of one.

6. elevan

Terri- Frieda is upset. Understandably. I think she'll be ok, but I never expected this [​IMG]

7. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    WOW! I have crows around all the time and they never bother my chickens. Maybe your chicken had some food the crows wanted? I can't think of any reason why they would attack your hen.

I hope she is OK.........

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Wow!!! I have heard of crows stealing eggs and chasing off hawks but never trying to kill a chicken!! I hope your girl recoveries quickly [​IMG]

9. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope your hen will be okay! We have crows that hang around our neighborhood. I will keep an eye out in the future.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh Elevan I am so happy she is going to be ok. That has me stumped. It has me flabergasted. I am sending you both [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by