Crow less Rooster? Have you heard of it?

Feathers of Eden

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Ontario,Canada
It seems one of the big hurdles that stopes most chicken owners to own a rooster is the annoying crowing habit of a rooster which either annoys the owner or is loud enough to annoy one of the neighbors.

I am not here t argue that crowing of rooster may have had some survival benefit for the flock historically but in a closed coop or an aviary or average protected coop what a crow of a rooster is really good for ?

the question that comes to my mind is this: Have you had a rooster in your flock that was not able or did not crow?
is there a breed of rooster that naturally does not crow? or crows vary rarely ?

Is there a research or study about creating crow less rooster in progress?

We have created a bantam version of many of the most special breeds of chicken so we can keep them in smaller spaces , why not try to think about crow less version of these amazing breeds?

Does it hurt your feeling if you can buy a crow less version of your rooster down the road?

What do you think?

I have had serama roosters that were mute and many others that crowed no louder than a normal speaking voice; actually, at this time, none of my serama roos crow loud (3) and one frizzle serama doesn't crow at all. Yes, a crowless breed could be produced through artificial selection just as long crowers were developed.

I have had serama roosters that were mute and many others that crowed no louder than a normal speaking voice; actually, at this time, none of my serama roos crow loud (3) and one frizzle serama doesn't crow at all. Yes, a crowless breed could be produced through artificial selection just as long crowers were developed.
Serama and some other bantams quiet crowing might be a size thing . I think as you said it is possible via selection to reach to crow less roosters but then it comes the question of is there a real market for it in real world?
would you pick a crow less chick over a crower one?
would you be able to keep a crow less rooster in a rooster free urban area?

Serama and some other bantams quiet crowing might be a size thing .
No, I've had little serama every bit as loud as other bigger breeds.
I think as you said it is possible via selection to reach to crow less roosters but then it comes the question of is there a real market for it in real world?
I would think there is. In a crowded world where neighbors are close and closer, even in the country, a crowless rooster would make for a more peaceful neighborhood.
would you pick a crow less chick over a crower one?
would you be able to keep a crow less rooster in a rooster free urban area?
No crowing-no complaints. From my own experience, urban police only care about complaints.

I wouldn't really care about this -- especially if the crowless breed suffered in productivity.

I live in the country now, but I grew up in an industrial area. What's a rooster compare to a freight train? Or a commercial jet? :D
During passing my mandatory 2 years military service in Iran in an active war zone , after 3 weeks they sent me back to base for a few days of recuperation and rest.

The base was in reality a few Large Canvas tents and under ground tunnels but it was much better than living in tents and trenches of active war zone.

I ate some food and then found an empty tent and crawled to my sleeping bag and since I knew the base was safe I slept.

In the morning a soldier bumped into my tent and woke me up and in a very surprised and sarcastic way asked me : How did you sleep last night?

Like a log. I answered while being surprise of his sarcastic tone.

why are you asking about my sleep? I asked him.

Because last night we were under intense fire from midnight to 4 am and we fired back at least 20 times with our tanks and heavy artilleries and you did not even wake up? That is unbelievable.

You might think I am a heavy sleeper but that is not true. I am the first one to wake up to the sounds of animals around the tent in campsites and wilderness.

I have hiked more than 4000 miles mostly solo in North America walking up to slightest sound around my tent when in danger.

but that was true , I did not even wake up that night. why?
I would say because of my attitude and expectations. I was not about to be bothered by any sound after 3 weeks being in active war zone so I slept like a log.

It is mostly about our attitude how we react.

The trouble with selecting against crowing is that crowing is a secodary sexual characteristic. So, if you breed out the crowing you are likely to end up with roosters that cannot successfully mate either.

The trouble with selecting against crowing is that crowing is a secodary sexual characteristic. So, if you breed out the crowing you are likely to end up with roosters that cannot successfully mate either.
There might be some evolutionary reasons for crowers but if there is only one rooster in the flock, I am not sure the hen has some saying when a horney crow less roster approaches her.

There might be some evolutionary reasons for crowers but if there is only one rooster in the flock, I am not sure the hen has some saying when a horney crow less roster approaches her.
Yes, but the question is whether or not a crowless rooster will be horney. When you genetically remove the crow some other things may disappear with it.

Yes, but the question is whether or not a crowless rooster will be horney. When you genetically remove the crow some other things may disappear with it.
Valid question.
I always refer to the study Russian did a few decades ago about choosing only the friendliest of a fox farm set up to reproduce. Basically they focused on one and only one friendly Gene and in a few generations they started to have foxes that started to look like dogs with strange color patches and new coat colors more like dog than foxes.

So the depth of the gene responsible for crowing and its relationship to other genes remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom