Crow/Magpie stealing eggs

clucking chicken

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
my chicken coop is always open and has no door so my hens can walk out to the open but the run is fenced all around. It is not covered on the top and my hens lay outside. i see crows and magpies eating the eggs i cant get them to stop and i have put scarecrows and plastic bags but they still come.

Last edited:
Put wildlife netting over the top- cover the whole thing. You don't say how big your run is but you can either use wood strips or pvc across the top at intervals to hold up the netting or, if larger, can string wire clothesline at intervals from side to side and end to end and then drape the netting over that. I use the clothesline and fasten it on the ends with wire nuts. I use zip ties at the intersections of the wires and to tie the netting to the wires at intervals. It won't keep predators out but it will stop birds from getting in. If your pen is not too big you might want to go with sturdier welded wire or hardware cloth so you don't have to worry about nocturnal visitors who can do much more damage.

Quote:
yes sometimes i find 0ne or two in it
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom