1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing 5 day old?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tsagirl, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Ok so I have one in this batch of babies from hatching 5 days ago that strains his neck up and crows???
    Its not a real crow but not a "cheep cheep" either. I have never ever seen or heard this before!

[​IMG]

Has anyone else had this happen before??!!

Is it a roo?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have had two crow in their first week. Sounds like Buh-REET! Five days and seven days.

3. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    speckled that is exactly how it sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So am I in for a dominate roo here?

LOL!

4. speckledhen

Don't know about dominant, but an Ameraucana crowed at five days and my Blue Orp/Buff Brahma, the blue one in the brooder now, crowed at seven days-both definite roosters! Wish they'd all declare themselves so early!

5. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I know this way I could really sex them and know which ones to locate to a new home or eat...or the ones I can keep. Oh well I guess "buttercup" what the kids called him will be going to a new home. LOL!
    Thanks so much speckled!

6. speckledhen

Isnt it just the cutest thing you ever heard, though? I love it.

7. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    It is pretty darn cute! [​IMG]

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    One of my Jersey Giant roos crowed his first crow when he was about 4 days old. DH heard it and came running up to me and said, "you're not going to believe this, but one of your chicks just crowed!" It was so funny so watch that little chick stretch out his neck and crow. [​IMG]

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have had two orpie chicks give a crow in their first couple days. DH didn't believe me until I took him in and the little bugger belted one out right in front of him. LOL Too funny! I wish they were all so obvious.

Jody

10. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Ya know it would be a perfect world if they all started up crowing on say day 5! LOL!!

Jody did ya get the card? [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by